Need a Second Class Re-Route

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hikinedd

Need a Second Class Re-Route

by hikinedd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 pm

A couple friends, scheduled to lead a half-dozen students (Wilderness Travel Course, Sierra Club) on a trip this weekend, are now scrambling to replace their two-nighter in overly-snowed Mineral King (to climb Hengst Pk, Florence Pk and Vandever Mtn). The trip needs to be east or west Sierra and include at least one peak. Unfortunately crampons, etc. cannot be part of the repertoire -- the trip can't go above second class (snowshoes okay).

Any advice for a Sierra trip without the specter of ice or impassable snow is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edd

hikinedd

by hikinedd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:04 am

Gary Schenk wrote:Muah

Is that your suggestion or just an evil laugh? :twisted:

Yeah, Muah would be good as long as there's no problem getting over Kearsarge Pass. Cirque might be okay, too, via Cottonwood Pass.

Thanks!

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 am

Cottonwood Pass - Cirque Peak

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 am

KathyW wrote:Cottonwood Pass - Cirque Peak

+1 - Cirque Peak Traverse (loop hike) with camp at one of the lakes.

Muah is Mulkey Pass, easy permit, short but steep grunt on one side, crappy slog on the other. How about Olancha Peak via Olancha Pass?

hikinedd

by hikinedd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:08 pm

1000Pks wrote:
hikinedd wrote:
Gary Schenk wrote:Muah

Is that your suggestion or just an evil laugh? :twisted:

Yeah, Muah would be good as long as there's no problem getting over Kearsarge Pass. Cirque might be okay, too, via Cottonwood Pass.

Thanks!

I think you're thinking of Bago. BTW, Gould is right there too, along with Independence. Though those have a bit of 3.

LOL, yeah, my girlfriend always wants to do peaks with funny names; Muah and Bago are two I usually mix up (like DeNiro and Pacino - always get them mixed up).

If it were me I'd do Muah or Cirque. Olancha and Kern would work, too. Thanks for all the input, folks!

Return to California