Mt Whitney hiking partner needed - I have one extra pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
nativensd

Mt Whitney hiking partner needed - I have one extra pass

by nativensd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Anyone want to hike up Mt Whitney this summer? I have an extra day pass for Aug 26th.
The pass is yours free, I just need someone to hike up Whitney with. It's my first attempt, and I've been practicing like crazy. I'm heading up there around Aug 22nd to climatize.
I live in San Diego, but if you are somewhere close in So Cal we could go on some practice hikes. Places like San Jacinto, Mt Baldy, San Gorgonio.

phydeux

by phydeux » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Just go and do it, then feel free to brag about it to the dork who didn't go when you get back! 8) . Don't be concerned that you'll be alone on the trail in late August; there are 100's of people on the main trail on any given summer day. FWIW: When it gets closer to your August hike date you might want to call the ranger station and drop one of the spots on your permit if it looks like you'll be going by yourself.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 am

I presume that you've already tried here?

I agree with 1000pks. It's just a trail; watch for the weather, and rest if you feel tired. If it is a nice day, there will be many, many people on the trail. Start early, bring a headlamp, and relax, but be ready to bag it in bad weather.

outdoorabstract

Interested

by outdoorabstract » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 am

I backpacked it once, dayhiked it once, and had to turn back on an East Face attempt. I might want to go if you still need somebody.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:36 am

Just to be clear -- your pass is for the trail, right?

lasvegaswraith

by lasvegaswraith » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm

I saw your posts on the Portal Store page also...you'll be fine solo on the main trail. In August there are plenty of people on the MT. They don't call it the "cattle trail" for nothing; some start as early as midnight :shock: and many dayhikers are out 'till 8 or 9 at night. Just load some tunes on your I-pod and hit the road with no one to slow ya down. Since you're coming from 619 and sea level, you ought to try and sleep at the TH (8300') for the extra acclimitization.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

A warning -- the campsite near the Portal TH is often very noisy at night. People are getting up at all times, and there is an almost inevitable commotion over the bears.

The 2 times that I've taken the trail, I merely stayed at Lone Pine the night before. However, I've met many people who describe the noisiness of the Portal campsite. Several friends stay at the Horseshoe Meadow campsite near Langley, close to 10k', then drive early next morn back to the Portal.

lasvegaswraith

by lasvegaswraith » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 pm

You're right, it can be noisy, but I use earplugs...boy, that took some getting used to.

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 am

MoapaPk wrote:A warning -- the campsite near the Portal TH is often very noisy at night. People are getting up at all times, and there is an almost inevitable commotion over the bears.

The 2 times that I've taken the trail, I merely stayed at Lone Pine the night before. However, I've met many people who describe the noisiness of the Portal campsite. Several friends stay at the Horseshoe Meadow campsite near Langley, close to 10k', then drive early next morn back to the Portal.

Much quieter. Camped here the week after 9/11 -- desolate except for park workers partying.

Return to California