Ritter/Banner from Lake Catherine

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hubix

Ritter/Banner from Lake Catherine

by hubix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:53 am

Anybody knows if it's worth it to bring crampons and ice axe for Ritter and Banner from Lake Catherine? From what I read it's possible to bypass the snow up to the saddle (class 3?). From there Banner shouldn't be a problem. What about Ritter? Is there any snow/ice to cross to get into the "right hand chute"? We are planning to go there on the first Sept. weekend.

Thanks a lot.

hubix

Re: Ritter/Banner from Lake Catherine

by hubix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 am

1000Pks wrote:I descended from Ritter by the west slope (cl. 2) with no snow, too lazy to see what you mean by right hand chute, that time of year. The NF is said to be deadly with routefinding a big problem, some do not make it then. I haven't done it, btw.

Thanks. I was talking about the north face. Seccor refers to a right hand chute to go up. It's here: http://www.summitpost.org/image/25895/1 ... -face.html
On these pictures I can see some snow. Was just wondering if that's gone by this time or if it's ice.
The problem wouldn't be renting. I'm thinking more about the weight. But it might be safer to bring it.
Last edited by hubix on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 am

Here is a picture from last weekend from inside Yosemite- of the area in question.

I would take crampons, but mine are very light. Though it does appear you might be able to avoid the glacier. When I did this route a couple years ago (early July) I was glad to have them, but then again did Lyell a few weeks ago and they were completely unnecessary, so who knows. Sorry I do not have much info on what it was like there before I was born. :(

For full size click the link...
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 651626.JPG

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Ritter/Banner from Lake Catherine

by Bob Burd » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:05 am

hubix wrote:Thanks. I was talking about the north face. Seccor refers to a right hand chute to go up. It's here: http://www.summitpost.org/image/25895/1 ... -face.html
On these pictures I can see some snow. Was just wondering if that's gone by this time or if it's ice.
The problem wouldn't be renting. I'm thinking more about the weight. But it might be safer to bring it.

There might very well still be snow there in September this year. The day I took that picture, Aug 10, I went up the North Face with aluminum crampons - a huge mistake when we hit ice. I was lucky to borrow another ice axe from a companion to get through it, but it was steep and dicey. There was no way at that time to avoid it. If you have to cross some of it this September, it will probably include ice sections. Bring sharp, steel crampons.

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 am

I'd bring 'em. Some terrain you don't want to slip on around there. Ritter's N face is a route you don't want to miss, too. Be safe & have fun.

hubix

by hubix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks for the info. You convinced me to carry the extra weight :)

Return to California