Ritter Banner Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
OOG

Ritter Banner Conditions

by OOG » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:50 am

Hey Folks

Anyone have any recent info for Ritter/Banner conditions. I'm looking at doing Ritter by the Southeast glacier route or Banner from Lake Cathrine. Not sure which yet, conditions will help me decide. I'd like to avoid lugging Crampons and Ice ax if at all possible. Leaning toward Banner from Cathrine so I can come in from rush creek and avoid the logistical headaches of the Agnew meadows trailhead (and so I can get the classic view of banner from thousand island lake). Assuming it's not glazed and icy, is snow gear an absolute must on this route?

Thanks for any info

no avatar
fogey

Re: Ritter Banner Conditions

by fogey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 am

Here are a couple of photos from June 20-21. First was taken on the 20th from the High Trail across the Middle Fork San Joaquin, and should give a general idea of snow coverage on the SE Glacier route to Ritter. Second was taken the next day from one of the summits on the ridge between Davis and Rodgers, with an obstructed view of Banner. The summit where I took the photo was as high as we went, and we were glad to have axes. The sheltered east faces of the saddles on both sides of the peak had considerable snow, steep-ish toward the ridgeline, pretty soft in the afternoon. The E face of the peak proper was mostly rock, mostly class 3, but there were a couple of short, steep snow patches to cross near the top. By now I would guess that there would be enough bare patches where we were to avoid all or almost all of the snow.

jonmeek16

by jonmeek16 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm

glad I found this... It's hard to tell from the photo but is there full snow coverage on the saddle between Ritter and Banner? Heading up there in two weeks and trying to determine if we can gain the saddle without ice axe and crampons. Planning on summitting both peaks.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't have a photo that shows more than the one I posted, and if I got a good look at the whole climb up to the saddle I don't remember it well enough to answer your question. In general snow coverage below Ritter and Banner was less than I have ever seen in prior trips--and this trip was earlier in the year than any those trips by a month or more. I strongly suspect you'll be able to pick your way through most or all of the climb to the saddle on rock--but if there is unavoidable lingering snow it will probably be pretty hard.

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 am

I went up Davis from Rush Creek last weekend. Here's a shot of Banner/Ritter from above Lake Catherine:
A few more photos here and more to come: http://qitnl.com/v/062714/

I carried traction but didn't need it. From my experience that gully gets a little icy; your call. Lots of pretty flowers and the skeeters are skeetering, pack the bug juice.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 am

I was there the first few days of June (1 - 4) and we were at Lake Ediza. Here are 2 photos, above 10,500 or so there was a lot of snow but melting fast. I looked at the side from Rush Creek and there was visably more snow.

Return to California