Bolivian Visa for U.S. Citizens

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
msumountainman

Bolivian Visa for U.S. Citizens

by msumountainman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 am

I'm heading to Bolivia in a few weeks and I was just curious to hear what experience other Americans have had when obtaining their Visa at the airport in La Paz? From what I see on the Bolivian Embassy website, the following items are needed:
1. Filled out Visa application (with photo)
2. Passport
3. Copy of hotel reservation or invitation
4. Copy of travel itinerary
5. Credit card or bank statement
6. Proof of yellow fever vaccine
7. $135 cash

Has anyone had any issues getting the Visa at the airport? Do you get hassled over any of these things? If anyone has had a negative experience that others can learn from, it would be helpful to learn from.

Thanks!

Woodie Hopper

Re: Bolivian Visa for U.S. Citizens

by Woodie Hopper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:28 am

msumountainman wrote:I'm heading to Bolivia in a few weeks and I was just curious to hear what experience other Americans have had when obtaining their Visa at the airport in La Paz? From what I see on the Bolivian Embassy website, the following items are needed:
1. Filled out Visa application (with photo)
2. Passport
3. Copy of hotel reservation or invitation
4. Copy of travel itinerary
5. Credit card or bank statement
6. Proof of yellow fever vaccine
7. $135 cash

Has anyone had any issues getting the Visa at the airport? Do you get hassled over any of these things? If anyone has had a negative experience that others can learn from, it would be helpful to learn from.

Thanks!

Unless anything has changed since I was there last May, here is my take:

1. They only accept cash. (No credit cards are accepted)
2. Yes, you need your passport.
3. They don't care about anything else. On the application you can write where you plan to stay.
4. You don't need any immunization history if you are entering at La Paz.
5. You don't need to bring a picture with you- are you getting the idea here? They only care about your money.

Getting this at the airport isn't a big deal and only takes 5-10 minutes. My $0.02: I wouldn't waste time arranging a visa ahead of your trip.

Once you get over giving them your money, you'll have a great time. The cost of eating-out will make you feel a lot better about it.

Woodie

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 pm

This past June, for La Paz:
1. They only accept US cash, and it has to be nice clean bills or you'll be asking others in line to exchange some.
2. You need your passport and money and nothing else, although I'd bring the yellow fever certificate just in case.
3. You do need the info about where you'll stay to fill in the forms, but you don't need a letter.
3. Definitely don't do it in advance. It took me more than 5 minutes but not that long.

astrobassman

by astrobassman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 pm

I agree with the above posts. I was there in June, and they only cared about the passport and cash. I was a bit worried I didn't take care of it here in the US before I went, but rest assured you will be fine. They didn't look at my yellow fever vaccination either.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you really need the yellow fever vaccination to get into Bolivia; what you need it for is to get back into the US after going to Bolivia.

msumountainman

by msumountainman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I was thinking that the money was all they cared about but I just wanted to make sure. When I went there in 2007 (before these requirements were put in place), the guy at customs never even looked at me. On the Bolivian embassy site, they actually say the yellow fever vaccine must be translated into Spanish.....so I'm glad to hear I won't have to go through the trouble of doing that! Just for others future reference, below I've pasted the U.S. tourist Visa requirements as they are exactly listed on the Bolivian Embassy website:

"REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR VISA

1. Complete the sworn statement for visa application* . ( You must also paste a full color passport size picture; 80% of the image must be of the face, no glasses. Further information in the WEB page of the Ministry www.rree.gov.bo ; link "Servicios Consulares".)

2. Current American passport. (Please note that it must be valid for at least 6 more months as per the Instructive 02/2007 of the Ministry.)

3. Copy of the hotel reservation or invitation letter from Bolivian friends or relatives indicating the host address. (Letter where applicable. For more information please refer to the WEB site of Ministry of Foreign Affaires and Worships www.rree.gov.bo ; link "Servicios Consulares", or within the website of the Vice-Ministry of Tourism.)

4. Round trip ticket or copy of travel itinerary.

5. Bank statement or equivalent that shows economic solvency. (A copy of Credit Card - front side- will also be accepted. Please note that the validity of the document should be for at least the travel period). Parent's or Legal Guardian's Economic Solvency documents are accepted for underage applicants.

6. Copy of yellow fever vaccination certificate. Any person older than twelve (12) month travelling to Bolivia, must bear the International Yellow Fever Vacination Certificate. If a pediatrician or primary physician decides that for health reasons a person cannot receive a Yellow Fever vaccine, they may issue corresponding certification. This certification must be translated into spanish and the passenger must hold a copy of both Certificate and tranlation, to be submitted before Bolivian Immigration Authorities.

7. Visa fee: U$S 135.- One hundred and thirty five dollars.
- Cash, direct deposit, or money order.
- This amount is not reimbursable."

mmcguigan

Have what they want in hand - just in case

by mmcguigan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 am

I was in Bolivia last July and had everything on the list (the letter was an email from a hostel). They are definately interested in the money but, if you get a grummpy officer, he or she can make your life miserable. We got through in about five minutes. A woman next to us had to step out of line because she did not have her photos or the yellow fever card. She paid a hefty premium to get an on the spot photo. We met up with her later and she told us they kept her at the airport for almost three hours "processing" her visa.

BHunewill

by BHunewill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 am

Crossed into Bolivia from Peru at Lake Titicaca and the border officer didn't care much about my yellow fever vaccination record. Before I left I saw on the govt website that entry was $100 so I was certain the guy was pocketing some cash when he asked for $135 in US dollars. Glad I had the cash as the closest ATM in Peru was a few hours away in Puno (as far as I know).

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 am

I didn't worry about the yellow fever vaccine, because all you have to do is tell them you're allergic to eggs and then you don't need to get it. (Egg or chicken allergies are contraindications for getting the vaccine.) This is your decision how to handle this. The last thing I would want is to get a yellow fever vaccine which is really unnecessary when all I'm doing is spending almost all my time above 4.5k meters in the Cordillera Real or Altiplano with no trips to the jungle, lowlands, Yungas, etc.

My $0.02. Like I said, your decision on this one.

Woodie

Return to South America