Cold/snow in the Sierra this weekend

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm

I was up on Whitney on Sunday as well. (Up the MR and down the trail.) I'm glad the weather worked out great for us in the southern Sierra. The forecast had me expecting worse, so I carried my parka the whole day but never used it. Better to have it and not need it . . .

fossana

by fossana » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:20 am

Greg Enright wrote:Rime Ice on Sky Pilot near the top of Red Slate, photo taken this afternoon....

Cool photo!

Snow flurries passing over Matthes on Sat. I wore a fleece & down jacket for the whole climb.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 am

fossana wrote:
Greg Enright wrote:Rime Ice on Sky Pilot near the top of Red Slate, photo taken this afternoon....

Cool photo!

Snow flurries passing over Matthes on Sat. I wore a fleece & down jacket for the whole climb.

Heh, my friend and I were planning on heading over there Sunday, but we had enough of that weather on the SE Buttress of Cathedral on Saturday. How were the winds?

fossana

by fossana » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 am

PellucidWombat wrote:Heh, my friend and I were planning on heading over there Sunday, but we had enough of that weather on the SE Buttress of Cathedral on Saturday. How were the winds?

Not scary windy, but frigid for the first half of the climb. At ~10:30a I passed a party of 10-12 looking like they were going to do Cathedral. Glad I wasn't on it.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 am

There were a few people that ventured partway up Cathedral, but ultimately everyone else turned around after pitch 1 or 2 once the snow flurries started. We were on first and had the route to ourselves the entire day, so I guess that's one good result of the bad weather :lol:

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 pm

PellucidWombat wrote:There were a few people that ventured partway up Cathedral, but ultimately everyone else turned around after pitch 1 or 2 once the snow flurries started. We were on first and had the route to ourselves the entire day, so I guess that's one good result of the bad weather :lol:

One of us made it =P!

Previous

Return to California