Boots in the Southeast?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
thespiffy

Boots in the Southeast?

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Where do you all get fitted for boots in the southeast?

I spend most of my time at "altitude" during the eastern winters.

As ya'll know we can see some hellacious winter weather-- I've trashed 3 pairs of boots in 1 year. I froze a pair of snow sealed Vasque boots solid and they cracked and broke.

I've tried the usual;

Mast stores
REI's
Diamond Brands
smaller outfitters

I'm obviously looking in the wrong places, I'm hoping to get fitted for and snag a pair of Scarpa's or Sportivia's.

Your input is appreciated!

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm

What the heck are you doing that would destroy a boot so fast? I think you have a quality problem, not a fit problem.

I do most of my winter hiking in a comfy pair of leather work boots, about two sizes too big. Got 'em at Wal-mart or some such. My previous pair lasted me at least ten years. Just make sure to pull 'em wide open at night so you can still get your feet in if they freeze solid. Waterproofing treatment helps with that too.

I also have a pair of stiff-soled boots for when I do vertical ice. Got 'em at REI or EMS or some such. They don't fit so great but I never wear them more than a couple days at a time.

James_W

Re: Boots in the Southeast?

by James_W » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm

What are you doing to boots that winter in the southeast is too much for them? I have been using La Sportiva Trango Evo from rock to ice in cold and desert for years with no breakage.

Get yourself a good pair of leather boots (try many to get the perfect fit) and they should be with you through many adventures.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 pm

So no one has a de facto retailer for their boot purchases?

Most retailers I've visited have 2-4 pairs each.

The last pair I killed (in one 5 day trip) were Asolo 520's (worn in profile picture). They froze solid every night, then one night I rammed my toe in to a log while post holing up Colbert Ridge Trail in the Blacks of NC. They split right up the side.

I'm mildly irritated with the standard retailers such as REI. You walk in, wanting to try on 10 different boots to find the best for you. They have 2-4 of nearly the same thing. You explain what you're doing with them and they look at you like your crazy. Then follow up with; "we don't sell anything more robust because there's nothing around here to warrant it"

Really? Why the $#^$! do you sell glacier glasses then?

Alas, I digress.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:24 pm

LaSportiva Trango series.

Boots freeze - do you keep them in your bag?

johnmnichols

by johnmnichols » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Where are you located? Black Dome in Asheville may be another option. I haven't purchased boots in years, so not sure how great their selection is. I wear Gore-Tex trail runners and gaiters if encountering snow in the Southeast.

gwave47

by gwave47 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm

thespiffy wrote:I'm mildly irritated with the standard retailers such as REI. You walk in, wanting to try on 10 different boots to find the best for you. They have 2-4 of nearly the same thing. You explain what you're doing with them and THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU'RE CRAZY. Then follow up with; "we don't sell anything more robust because there's nothing around here to warrant it"

No offense Spiffy but I think a lot of us are looking at you like you are crazy and have one thought on our mind "there's nothing around here to warrant it".

I wear a pair of leather North Face Goretex hiking boots. Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. I have done a lot of post holing in deep snow and after 5 years and about 300 uses they are still working great. Any chance the issue is user error?

James_W

by James_W » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 pm

gwave47 wrote: Any chance the issue is user error?

+1

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:28 pm

It seems my question is lost on some, or even more likely I'm not explaining myself concisely.

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the ones that actually addressed my question.

adventurer

by adventurer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I use a pair of all leather LL Bean Cresta Hikers for winter hikes and backpacking trips in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Never had a problem in freezing temps. If there's a lot of snow, I wear a pair of OR Gaiters over the boots.

hamik

by hamik » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 am

Use online retailer backcountry.com (or another site with a friendly return policy). The procedure goes: order 3-4 pairs of each model you're interested in, try them all on, then return the unsatisfactory models and the ones that don't fit. You pay approximately five dollars per return with backcountry.com, and the initial shipping is free. You don't need someone else to fit leather boot for you unless you have deformed feet; if they fit more or less when you first try them on, stick with them, suffer a little through the break-in, then they will take the shape of your feet. Get quality mountaineering boots, like La Sportivas.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 am

hamik wrote:Use online retailer backcountry.com (or another site with a friendly return policy). The procedure goes: order 3-4 pairs of each model you're interested in, try them all on, then return the unsatisfactory models and the ones that don't fit. You pay approximately five dollars per return with backcountry.com, and the initial shipping is free. You don't need someone else to fit leather boot for you unless you have deformed feet; if they fit more or less when you first try them on, stick with them, suffer a little through the break-in, then they will take the shape of your feet. Get quality mountaineering boots, like La Sportivas.

Thanks much-- this is exactly what I ended up doing. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)