Southeast winter crags

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
KujoA2

Southeast winter crags

by KujoA2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice about crags I could visit in the southeast (Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee.) I'm hoping to make a trip in early May, (won't have any time off until then), but with the goal of finding a good winter climbing spot for the future. We're hoping to combine this with a trip to the New, also. Ideally there should be a decent range of easier-to-moderate climbing, sport or trad, and some good hiking nearby would be a plus. So far we've looked at Stone Mountain, NC (runout's not really my thing but I do want to do the Great Arch route, maybe treat it as a "rest" day.) Pilot Mountain, Moore's Wall/Hanging Rock, Linville Gorge, Rumbling Bald/Chimney Rock, and Looking Glass Rock (although the last one looked to be beyond my ability level)

Any recommendations or opinions?

KujoA2

Re: Southeast winter crags

by KujoA2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Also just looked at T-wall, Foster Falls, and Obed in Tennessee as well.

TomSellick

by TomSellick » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 am

If it's clear of ice, the Nose on Looking Glass is an awesome route - bolts at every anchor, easy to protect. The hiking around there is some of the best, such as in the Shining Rock Wilderness. T-wall has a huge number of single pitch routes that are fun and Chattanooga is a cool city to visit.

KujoA2

by KujoA2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks for the tip- hiking nearby is always a good thing, especially in winter and spring when the weather might not cooperate.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)