Neoprene Socks

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
DanTheMan

Neoprene Socks

by DanTheMan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:12 pm

I bought a pair of paddling socks just because they were pretty cheap. At the worst I can use them for bicycling in the rain. Anybody take them on mountains? Have any experience with them in snow?

As I understand it, they add more insulation than regular socks if they are fitted loosely but they will block all vapour, which may or may not be a good thing. I was thinking of pairing them with my old leather Nepal Tops to add some more cold weather protection. I was thinking of perforating them somehow (hole puncher) to let them breath a bit, but that might just ruin them.

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm

The pair I got were $10 which is cheaper than hiking socks. They are made out of 3 pieces of material, 1 for the front, 1 for the bottom, 1 for the back, so the only seam I would be worried about is the one on the heel. But either way it's not a big deal if they get torn up. I'll try wearing them for a regular day when it's not too warm sometime.

welle

by welle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a group of Seattle hikers being stranded in the mountains because of deep snow and being rescued. One of the guys had a sever frostbit to his feet (it was pretty serious with possible amputation prognosis). It was contributed due to his wearing neoprene socks (snow got inside maybe?).

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:12 pm

welle wrote:I remember reading a couple of years ago about a group of Seattle hikers being stranded in the mountains because of deep snow and being rescued. One of the guys had a sever frostbit to his feet (it was pretty serious with possible amputation prognosis). It was contributed due to his wearing neoprene socks (snow got inside maybe?).

I would imagine they were too tight. I went up almost 3 sizes to get a fit that didn't squeeze my foot at all. I imagine for paddling or swimming you need them tight to help squeeze the water out.

Return to Gear