13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
chapter11

by chapter11 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm

I climbed Everest via the North Side this year and met Jordan on several occasions. I was thrilled to see that he made it yesterday; however, I am very surprised as the times I encountered him on the hill (multiple times on the BC to ABC trek and twice on the North Col) he came across as a very weak climber that was always struggling. In any event, I am happy for him and his dad - I wish them a safe journey back to BC (he is not there yet as a previous poster said)...

Lolli

by Lolli » Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Catamount wrote:
Lolli wrote:I can agree with you, Mihai, but it wasn't his first. He has climbed them all.

"The Seven Summits – Mountains We’ve climbed:
Africa- Kilimanjaro – July 22, 2006
Australia- Kosciuszko – April, 2007
Europe/Russia- Elbrus – July 11, 2007
South America- Aconcagua – December 30, 2007
North America- Denali – June 18, 2008
Oceana- Carstensz Pyramid – September 1, 2009
"

He didn't learn climbing on Everest. Kosciuszko sure isn't hard, and Kilimanjaro is a touristgoal (for the fit ones). Step by step.

He still hasn't climbed Vinson Massif in Antarctica from what I understand. Not that I'm following it all that closely, but it is at least moderately interesting. There are 8 seven summits if you include the two Oceana entries.

That's true. I read sloppily.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun May 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Lolli wrote:Seriously though, sadly enough, I dont think climbing ever will be a way to build a fortune.....

Who are we to judge?

Not climbing per say, but this particular situ, I bet it's worth a cool couple of million...watch!

From the pre climb interviews I watched, sure seemed that Mom and Dad did lots of talking to hype this event up.

If this in fact wasn't meant to be such a big media extravaganza, then why all the media hype prior to, during and now after? I know a several folks that have summited the Big E. One in particular is my boss and he did it twice. Not one of em had a "Team Spokesman" nor most if not all of you have ever heard of any of em.

Not judging there Sport... just posting my opine on this particular situ.

Lolli

by Lolli » Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 pm

The Chief wrote:
Lolli wrote:..

Who are we to judge?

Not judging there Sport... just posting my opine on this particular situ.

That latter was meant in general.

Maybe it is so - he's being pushed by his parents.
Or they're very proud of him and what he wants to do.
Hard for us to know.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sun May 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Lolli's spokesman wrote:Maybe it is so - he's being pushed by his parents.
Or they're very proud of him and what he wants to do.
Hard for us to know.

Not hard at all. All we need to do is ask his spokesman!

scottmiller

by scottmiller » Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Catamount wrote:
Lolli wrote:I can agree with you, Mihai, but it wasn't his first. He has climbed them all.

"The Seven Summits – Mountains We’ve climbed:
Africa- Kilimanjaro – July 22, 2006
Australia- Kosciuszko – April, 2007
Europe/Russia- Elbrus – July 11, 2007
South America- Aconcagua – December 30, 2007
North America- Denali – June 18, 2008
Oceana- Carstensz Pyramid – September 1, 2009
"

He didn't learn climbing on Everest. Kosciuszko sure isn't hard, and Kilimanjaro is a touristgoal (for the fit ones). Step by step.

He still hasn't climbed Vinson Massif in Antarctica from what I understand. Not that I'm following it all that closely, but it is at least moderately interesting. There are 8 seven summits if you include the two Oceana entries.

Where is Vinson, surely neither the Messner or Bass lists.. but then tell that to the media or commercial enterprises that see the money in this marketing opportunity..

And especially when Tiger Woods is not performing, surely the adoring US people need a new hero!

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun May 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: his parents etc. The view from another field: http://www.sleepmonsters.com.au/news.ph ... le_id=3800

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Mon May 24, 2010 1:05 am

no avatar
DJFLIX2009

by DJFLIX2009 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:55 am

i dont understand why there are so many negative comments...there have been hundreds of people who have had to turn around because they missed their window or couldnt make it or felt uncomfortable going further up the mountain...it seems like there are a lot of haters in this thread...maybe you made it up Annapurna with no oxygen on 2 hours sleep in -30 degree weather up hill both ways, but damn give the KID a break...weak climber or not, he fucking made it where hundreds have failed and thousands havent even tried...

<off soap box>

not trying to offend you guys, as i am no climber, but give credit where its due, and it definitely due here imo

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Mon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:"I don't think it ever dawned on them to say, 'Oh my gosh, Jordan, you're the youngest to get up here,' Bailey said."

Let me be the first to call "BULLSHIT!" :roll:

Now that that's out of the way, congrats to young Mr. Romero!

visentin

by visentin » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Now that that's out of the way, congrats to young Mr. Romero!

Agree. Everything went fine and it's admirable adventure from all points of view, congrats to Romero even if climbing it nowadays has nothing to see with old-fashioned Everest conquests.

Less admirable is that this fact means probably the start of some insane "race" about who'll be the next youngest...

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/05/24/2908096.htm

This is a long Skype call from C2 (7700m) on the north side, by Duncan Chessell to a journalist in Australia. About half-way through he speaks a bit about Jordan Romero.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon May 24, 2010 4:54 pm

dynamokiev98 wrote:There are so many negative comments because 1) people are jelous that this guy had a sponsored trip and a chance to summit a mountain few of us here will summit 2) people are jelous of media attention etc this kid got. 3) people are jelous of accomplishment and possible $ to be made by the family

From the Outside article in April:

It's a self-reliance born partly of necessity. Professional guides would double costs and break Team Romero's limited budget. At least a dozen corporate sponsors—including Sole footbeds, Vasque boots, Jetboil stoves, and FRS energy drinks—are contributing equipment, and Jordan recently won a $5,000 Polartec Challenge grant. But most of the $120,000 expedition total is coming out of Team Romero's life savings.

JakobFisker

by JakobFisker » Mon May 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Some people would probably argue, if you climbed a peak, if you brought your own doctor, 3-4 sherpa guides (can´t remember the exact number) and used fixed ropes.
I think this says more about who and what you can haul up the poor mountain, with the right help ($$$$$)

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 pm

JakobFisker, I'd really like you to answer my question. I am curious. Wherein lies the difference?

PreviousNext

Return to News