Ski Villa, SoCal skiing 365 days a year!!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Dan Shorb

Ski Villa, SoCal skiing 365 days a year!!!

by Dan Shorb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 am

Any body know any one who skied here? It was only open a year it sounds like. I visited this place when I lived in Chino and Diamond Bar as a kid. (after it was closed) and remember asking my dad if it would hurt if you fell while skiing it.

Its still there now.

Check it out: Just east of Sleepy Hollow on Carbon Canyon Road (Hwy 142)

http://carboncanyonchronicle.blogspot.com/2009/02/year-round-skiiing-in-carbon-canyon.html

You can see it on Google Earth too.

我不知道杰克

RickF

Re: Ski Villa, SoCal skiing 365 days a year!!!

by RickF » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:39 pm

DS,

I remember when it opened in the late 60's. The blog article in the link says 1966 There was a special on the old channel 13, KCOP. Back then Bill Burran used to do a show something like today's "Huell Howser's California Gold". After seeing the show my friend's dad drove us up to see it. We were 8 years old and we didn't ski then. I drive by it occassionally when I use Carbon Canyon as a detour around the clogged 57 and 60 freeways. It's funny that its just been there all these decades with the weeds growing in through the fake snow.

The surface texture is plastic bristles, like the moving tread-mill slope ramps they use at ski shows for demonstrations.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: Ski Villa, SoCal skiing 365 days a year!!!

by Dan Shorb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 pm

RickF wrote:DS,

I remember when it opened in the late 60's. The blog article in the link says 1966 There was a special on the old channel 13, KCOP. Back then Bill Burran used to do a show something like today's "Huell Howser's California Gold". After seeing the show my friend's dad drove us up to see it. We were 8 years old and we didn't ski then. I drive by it occassionally when I use Carbon Canyon as a detour around the clogged 57 and 60 freeways. It's funny that its just been there all these decades with the weeds growing in through the fake snow.

The surface texture is plastic bristles, like the moving tread-mill slope ramps they use at ski shows for demonstrations.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I wonder how we can drum up a few pictures of folks skiing there.
我不知道杰克

Return to California