Banning

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Re: Banning

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:I don't understand this thread at all, Of course it is possible to judge people instantly and faultlessly without having to hear what they have to say in their defense. No one less than Solzhenitsyn, for instance, wrote a novelette called "We Never Make Mistakes", so there!

You and some of the others just don't get it. The elves are empowered by the owners to judge and they don't have to be faultless. The site doesn't have to be a democracy; it can be a dictatorship - it belongs to the owners and can be whatever they or their agents want it to be. :roll:

Yeah, but isn't a dictatorship rather bad taste in this day and age? Just asking.
Ejnar. :evil:
Spreading more unfounded hatred, as usual.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:05 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:I don't understand this thread at all, Of course it is possible to judge people instantly and faultlessly without having to hear what they have to say in their defense. No one less than Solzhenitsyn, for instance, wrote a novelette called "We Never Make Mistakes", so there!

You and some of the others just don't get it. The elves are empowered by the owners to judge and they don't have to be faultless. The site doesn't have to be a democracy; it can be a dictatorship - it belongs to the owners and can be whatever they or their agents want it to be. :roll:

Yeah, but isn't a dictatorship rather bad taste in this day and age? Just asking.

In Egypt right now it's better than the alternative

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Yeah, but isn't a dictatorship rather bad taste in this day and age? Just asking.

Yes, that's why some folks here are unpleased with the results.

See a dictatorship can be fine if it is done in the fashion which a quote by a friend of mine:
"I may be a dictator, but at least I'm a nice one"

So if there is no friendly dictatorship, well then that's when things start going bad. :wink:

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:52 am

Off and on I've been following this thread, simply coz' I find it an interesting discussion.

First of all, I'm quite satisfied with the elves having the power to ban someone, without having to explain why to the general public. In fact, I believe we should not have such a place.

Granted, everybody makes mistakes, I certainly do, so I can imagine that occasionally there is a banning that, when scrutinized, would be considered wrong by most people. However I also believe that the elves are acting in good faith. I don't really know them, but first of all, they invest their own time in making this site better and, secondly, I'm sure that, if necessary, the owners or the other elves would take action, otherwise the site would eventually loose many of its members - either because we're all banned :wink: , or we go away because we don't like it here anymore :( . Now, we don't want that to happen, but neither do the owners: no more income (from the adds). So, I accept that there may occasionally be a banning that perhaps should not have been. A small price to pay for a bit of peace and quiet, for guarding the quality of the site, keeping the forums (and pm's) free of trouble. The only sad thing is that when a user is deleted, not just banned temporarily, all the contributions by that member are automatically gone too. Understandable, but sad nonetheless.

As for
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

I agree with Buz' argument here. Whether dictatorships are in vogue or not, is essentially irrelevant to privately owned companies. Within the rules of law - which, in the US at least, are created by a mostly democratic process, the owners can do what they want. It would be kinda strange if, say, the local supermarket customers would start determining how to run the company - that's not a democracy either! If the customers don't like it how things are run, they can shop elsewhere, or someone could open up a competing shop and run it differently.

Note that I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss the pro's and con's of having a place to discuss banning, or even propose having such a place, should we want to. My point is that, at best, the SP members could propose having it - as one could make suggestions in a benign dictatorship - and then it would be up to the elves (or owners) - and they have made their opinion crystal clear.

To avoid any confusion that might arise from the previous paragraph, for the record, I reiterate that I believe we should not have such a place.

Rob

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 am

I tend to dissagree with all those who dissagree with me. :?

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 am

The current system is set up so that if you have an admin of your page and you get banned, the other person is still an admin, and the page goes to "Deleted User" which then who ever wants it can take it.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 am

Guess it all depends how you define the word "decent."

In my opinion, I think they're doing an outstanding job, but nobody here on the internet gives a
RATASS about my particular opinion.

Nowadays, people like to create their OWN opinions on everything.

:wink:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
SoCalHiker

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 am

Marmaduke wrote:I tend to dissagree with all those who dissagree with me. :?

I disagree with your spelling of "disagree."

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Marmaduke

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 am

MoapaPk wrote:

And, because I am an elf, I disagree with your right to say that you disagree out in the open. Do you disagree, and do you find my disagreement disagreeable?
:wink:
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:23 am

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Dave K

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 am

MoapaPk wrote:

I'm sure he could care less. :roll: :x I think Marmaduke was distracted by the principles of flight. :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 am

goldenhopper wrote: :roll: :x I think Marmaduke was distracted by the principles of flight. :wink:

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 am

goldenhopper wrote:I........I think Marmaduke was distracted by the principles of flight. :wink:

Flight? Where am I going?

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
goldenhopper wrote:I........I think Marmaduke was distracted by the principles of flight. :wink:

Flight? Where am I going?

far, far away :wink:

Previous

Return to Site Feedback