Snowbird Resort Requests Expansion onto American Fork Twins

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Ed F

Snowbird Resort Requests Expansion onto American Fork Twins

by Ed F » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Save our Canyons:

Snowbird Resort Requested Expansion - American Fork Twin Peaks

This past fall Snowbird sent a proposal to the USFS asking for an expansion to the American Fork Twin Peaks. The proposal includes a Tram to the top of the American Fork Twin Peaks so they can access additional terrain in Silver Creek, Mary Ellen Gulch, and Mineral Basin. Today, we sent our thoughts on the proposal to the USFS. You can read our comments by clicking here.
Note: A similar expansion was part of the Wasatch Wilderness and Watershed Protection Act introduced into the last Congress by Rep. Jim Matheson. We were supportive of that process because A) It would have resulted in the permanent protection of over 26,000 acres of the Wasatch as Wilderness, B) It would have prevented Alta's Flagstaff lift, and C) It would have guaranteed that lands exchanged stayed within the Central Wasatch (avoiding a situation like Snowbasin's Land Exchange). For more information about our efforts to reintroduce the Wasatch Wilderness and Watershed Protection Act visit: http://saveourcanyons.org/campaigns/was ... s_campaign

Here is Save our Canyons' letter. http://saveourcanyons.org/sites/all/mod ... &qid=65172

I'm drafting my own right now, and I'll post it when I do. I'd encourage anyone who cares about this canyon to write. Model your letter after SOC's, and base your complaints mostly in policy terms, but be sure to add personal stories of your enjoyment of these mountains. Be polite, but be direct.

Attaching a lift to these iconic mountains on our skyline is disgusting. Dick Bass is plenty rich, and Snowbird is plenty big already. Dick Bass won't be happy until LCC looks like Las Vegas with lifts everywhere, rollercoasters, etc. I'm sure I don't have to relate to the touring community what this means: the entire White Pine drainage will be "slackcountry," and will start to look like Scottie's Bowl.

Also, if you are a customer of Mr. Bass and his mega-resort, I'd encourage you do vote with your dollars or at least voice your concern as a customer. I've never skied at Snowbird, and I never will.

Return to Utah