Half Dome conditions/partner

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
vetmike

Re: Half Dome conditions/partner

by vetmike » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Did not make the summit. The bottom line: I should have broken out the ice axe and crampons earlier. There is a crazy amount of snow up there, and I encountered it a couple miles up the valley. I found myself on a 40 degree slope below Nevada Falls that was covered with a few feet of snow. The slope had some boot pack, so I figured I could just cruise over it. However I didn't think about the fact I had a 45lb backpack on. One of my feet gave out on the soft snow, I began to tip downhill, and caught my fall with my wrist. I felt shooting pain and immediately realized I had sprained my wrist. It wasn't severe, but it was bad enough to make me wince when I used it.

Climbing solo without a sprained wrist is sketchy at best. Climbing solo with a sprained wrist is just stupid. I turned around.

I've tried to climb Half Dome twice in April and have failed both times. This rock is becoming my nemesis. I will be back next year. If anyone wants to ascend it with me next year let me know. But I might be bad luck ;)

Regards,

-Mike

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 am

Ouch! Glad to hear you made the right choice. That's not failure in my book, you went up and got down under your own power. Failure is not making it down, or sitting around at home and not even giving it a try.

I bet the snowfield that gotcha can be seen here:
http://www.qitnl.com/d/20666-3/yosemite040111-056.jpg

Thanks for the report. A buddy might head up that way over the weekend, I can tell him he can expect broken trail up to Nevada Falls.

vetmike

by vetmike » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 pm

You got it - fell on the switchbacks in the shot you attached. I'll post a photo or two of the snowfield when I pull the photos off of my camera tonight.

I'd be happy to talk with your friend who is climbing in more detail. Send over a message and I'll respond with my cell number.

By the way, I like your "failure" definition :) With that in mind, how do you usually state that you didn't reach the summit on an attempt?

Previous

Return to California