Another Knee Issue...

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
crispy

Another Knee Issue...

by crispy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 am

Hey all,

Quick question for those in the know regarding our least intelligently designed joint.

My knee started feeling a little "off" a couple months ago. No trauma/singular incident, but felt "different...kinda loose/sloppy". Noticed a big increase in crepitus/cracking/popping, though no accompanying pain at all with the noises. Also noticed a new cracking/popping from top front of ankle on same leg (not all the time). Finally, am also getting intermittent soreness under heel of same leg (maybe once/day, usually AM or after sitting/getting off plane/etc).

My history: dislocated and fractured patella ~16 years ago. For years I've worn an open patella neoprene brace when climbing, working out (stairclimbing and crossfit-type workouts), and in general during the day (teacher, on my feet all day). The compression obviously helps with tracking/etc. I'm pretty good with body maintenance (foam rolling/trigger point release) and especially icing after workouts.

Finally, question: Is it a problem/concern if there's no pain with the noises and I'm able to do all my stuff fine? I just got back from a week in Colorado with no issues at all...maybe the concerns are all just in my head?

I appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks in advance.

chris

peninsula

Re: Another Knee Issue...

by peninsula » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:30 am

Not sure about your heel, but if you have no pain or stiffness in your knee, I'd not be concerned.

no avatar
foweyman

Re: Another Knee Issue...

by foweyman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 am

This is not a diagnosis but, from either chronic or acute injuries, the cartilage on the back of the patella can become degraded (google chondromalacia) and have a very rough, shredded surface. This can cause pain, discomfort and the loose feeling/crepitus/cracking/popping that you described, but the pain can go away quickly or over time, and many people (myself included) have this damage without any permanent decrease in function. If a loose piece of this cartilage changes position or breaks off, it can cause the knee to feel and/or perform differently. Loose pieces can get stuck in places that alter performance and sensation, but can also lodge in innocuous places or can float around inside the joint and get ground to insignificant pieces.

Your new crepitations may not currently be causing pain but they can (or not) irritate the joint lining (synovial membrane) so that it becomes swollen and painful (synovitis).

Return to Technique and Training