Knee problems!

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 am

I think your knees hurt from staying up too late :shock: . Hope you don't work in the morning!

bodyresults

by bodyresults » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 am

I definitely agree with other that you want to use surgery as a last resort.

Finding a good physical therapist would be your best bet.

With what you have mentioned about your condition it could be due to a muscle imbalance in the quads. It’s not uncommon for people to have weak inside quad muscles (vastus medialis). What can happen is that the outside quad (vastus lateralis) can overpower and pull the knee cap to the outside. There evidence to suggest that people that don’t do a lot of full range of motion squatting are more likely to have this occur. In the Western worlds people sit on chairs more and don’t squat down to the ground much for rest positions. You will often see young children squatting down so naturally and comfortably.

At this point however full range squats probably won’t help much. If you do find a therapist you might talk to them about this to see if they think this is the issue.

It’s possible by choosing exercises that focus more on the inside quad you could improve your condition. The best exercise I know for this is a reverse step-up (a.k.a. Petersen Step-up). My wife and I have worked with many climbers and hikers that had knee pain. This exercise has produced excellent results. You can learn more about it and see a video at

http://www.bodyresults.com/e2kneetest.asp

Good Luck!

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 am

sjarelkwint wrote:After 6 weeks of training I feel bad ... My knee is even worse than 6 weeks ago when I started therapy ...

3 more weeks of therapy and if I don't feel any change I'll go back to my doctor and ask for a new therapist ... Hope to be able to go to anton claes (kneedoctor of most soccer players) or Lieven Maesschalck (therapist of Christiano Ronaldo)

You should let the knee rest. As you are reconstructing your home, it can't rest thus won't get better. No amount of physio will help with that.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 am

A physical therapist will work with you for a limited amount of time. They guide you in the right direction. AFTER that it's up to YOURSELF to continue doing the excercises. Not doing these excercises and only occasionally training out or doing sports will mean that you'll end up with the same problems over and over again.

If you have these kinds of problems, quite ofter it is because some kind of muscle isn't doing it's work. Strengthening this muscle should solve (part of) the problem. I have severe patella tendinitis in both knees. If I stop with my excercises (even now after three years) for a month, they'll be hurting again after a 30min walk.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Agreed, you should definitely give up walking/running/hiking/climbing for some time and focus on the exercises the therapist gives you.

So, doing the Dodentocht, knowing your knees are f'ed up is just a very bad idea...

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah well, I was invited to a tennis game two days ago, fun no doubt but a bad idea ;)

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Here in NYC, I like to attend symposiums and classes in avoiding problems.

http://www.hss.edu/pped.asp

You might want to see what it available where you live.

I've been amazed how much I've learned about the architecture of the knee, hip and ankle.

mstender

by mstender » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 pm

John Duffield wrote:Here in NYC, I like to attend symposiums and classes in avoiding problems.

http://www.hss.edu/pped.asp

You might want to see what it available where you live.

I've been amazed how much I've learned about the architecture of the knee, hip and ankle.

Interesting...I'll have to check out if any of the hospitals or Universities around here might have some similar seminars. Thanks, John.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:51 pm

My Running Club also has a learning series. I go when I'm in town. You might have stuff available there as well through the Running Clubs. All of this is common to climbing. Same joints.

http://www.nyrr.org/resources/learning_series/index.asp

mstender

by mstender » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

I was at the doctor recently and they did an MRI as well and it turns out that I do not have patella tracking disorder but plica syndrom. That means that I had previously been misdiagnosed. The doc gave me some exercises to do and it appears that they are essentially the same or very similar to the exercises recommended for patella tracking disorder. There is also the option of removing the plica by surgery.
Does anybody here have some experience with plica syndrom? Has anybody had the surgery to remove the plica?

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:28 pm

mstender wrote:I was at the doctor recently and they did an MRI as well and it turns out that I do not have patella tracking disorder but plica syndrom. That means that I had previously been misdiagnosed. The doc gave me some exercises to do and it appears that they are essentially the same or very similar to the exercises recommended for patella tracking disorder. There is also the option of removing the plica by surgery.
Does anybody here have some experience with plica syndrom? Has anybody had the surgery to remove the plica?

Moni noted it in a previous thread:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34139&highlight=plica+syndrome

mstender

by mstender » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Dave Dinnell wrote:
mstender wrote:I was at the doctor recently and they did an MRI as well and it turns out that I do not have patella tracking disorder but plica syndrom. That means that I had previously been misdiagnosed. The doc gave me some exercises to do and it appears that they are essentially the same or very similar to the exercises recommended for patella tracking disorder. There is also the option of removing the plica by surgery.

Moni noted it in a previous thread:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34139&highlight=plica+syndrome

Thanks Dave! I just saw that too. PM sent to Moni.

Ze

by Ze » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:55 am

This means you are using your vastis lateralis (outside) a lot more than your vastis medialis (inside) portion of the quadriceps muscle group. Not only should you be focusing on strengthening the VM through some weights, you need to change the load distribution in all other activities you are doing to help build the VM in a functional manner. VM will slight pull the patella medially.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training