Novice. Attempting Shasta solo this wknd(j11). Need advice.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
clmbr

Re: Novice. Attempting Shasta solo this wknd(j11). Need advi

by clmbr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am

telewoman wrote:Don't know if he summited or not but we were busy this weekend.
http://www.mtshastanews.com/newsnow/x17 ... -Mt-Shasta

azzi wrote:I have never climbed above 7000ft.
...and if need be I will keep moving until I am quite literally unable to do so.

azzi wrote:My biggest fears are: freezing (but from what I understand the weather should be great)...

azzi wrote:I looked at the weather forecast and it looks GOOD. Almost perfect.

azzi wrote:I'm not planning to be rescued. ...I'm continuing to travel up north afterwards and have already made appropriate plans

azzi wrote:I prepared the best I could, mentally and physically. I am trying to make my west-coast vacation truly memorable (no irony intended, a.k.a. me getting injured or dying being "memorable")

azzi wrote:I could probably recite you the snow-levels and temperatures by heart from the past two weeks as well.

azzi wrote:I am banking on the sun ;) I posted a link to the weather forecast

"Relaying on weather forecasts, climbers have got in troubles or even paid with their lives. The top of Mt Shasta (above Red Banks) is quite large and if you get caught around the summit by clouds or whiteout you may not be able to find the proper way back, no visibility, no footprints. But even with a perfect visibility sometimes people get confused and take the wrong way down." (clmbr)
azzi wrote:Well, I am somewhat of a worrier, so I figured any extra tips and tricks wouldn't hurt, and I certainly received some valuable information via this thread and private message. I truly want to increase my chances of success and I wanted to see what my blindspots were. Knowledge is power.

azzi wrote:...Will certainly post a trip report, sounds like folks will be interested ;)

The Mel Torino thread was really funny and this one looks very much the same with two main differences: He is (was) going solo, not with his family; and this is, fortunately (or NOT), only Mt Shasta versus Everest.

jareds

by jareds » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Just spoke with him, he made it up and back without incident.

jareds

by jareds » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 pm

jareds wrote:Just spoke with him, he made it up and back without incident.

not really, just wondering what everyone's reaction to that statement is - seems like many ppl are concerned for this kid's safety, while others want him to fail.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

I just finished up with some paperwork and was going to ask your question and/or make a statement. I sure hope he is ok, it would seem he would have posted something by now. Especially since it was not a good weekend on the mountain, weather wise.

AriehDavid

by AriehDavid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 pm

I sent a PM to him and haven't heard anything. Def agree with Fletch's sentiments on the situation.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 pm

I also sent him a PM, since he previously contacted me directly to seek advice. I think he said he was heading north afterwards to continue his vacation, so it may be a while before he logs onto Summitpost and sees the 6 pages of thread his plans have generated. He owes us a solid TR. Maybe not PellucidWombat grade (with charts and figures), but some details would be nice.

jareds

by jareds » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Fletch wrote:But it would be nice to hear, "boy, you guys were right! should have taken this a bit more seriously" :D

lol okay fair enough :)

peninsula

by peninsula » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Fletch wrote:While I don't think it's quite as black and white as you infer. I think most of us want him to come back humbled, but all of us want him to return safely. The satisfaction of being right on an internet forum should never outweigh basic human kindness. I wish nothing but a safe return for the guy.

But it would be nice to hear, "boy, you guys were right! should have taken this a bit more seriously" :D

Humbled and safe would be a very good thing regardless of success or failure. I suppose most of us have gotten ourselves into situations in the mountains we live to regret and yet appreciate the circumstances at the same time. Seriously life-threatening close calls have been among my most foolish, if not most memorable experiences; they have also provided the most valuable lessons. But that is easy for me to say as I have never suffered permanent injury. Many of us simply have to learn by the school of hard knocks; the younger we are, the more likely this seems to be true.

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:35 pm

If succeeded on Shasta, I would not be surprised if his trip report would include also Hood and Rainier (and perhaps other mountains). Though, traveling without a car may be a small obstacle or at least inconvenience and we may have to wait a bit.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 am

Steve1215 wrote:--

ha ha!

little noob Azzy has sure ruffled a lot of feathers by daring to challenge this walk-up snowslog on Shasta! I'm sure he will succeed with no real problems.

...though all the yuppie wine-and-cheese "climbers" who have done this route, and bragged about it endlessly on Facebook, are going to be really threatened and annoyed that noob Azzy just waltzed up the thang, without getting killed.

...won't be long now before some guy in a modified wheelchair just rolls himself up the very same route! Or a guy in an iron lung even does it.

Back in the 1980s, some rock climber did a few Himalayan routes...and got into big trouble for saying they were mere walkups, and that most of the "serious" Himalayan vets COULD NOT DO A SINGLE FUKING PULL-UP...they only knew how to put one foot in front of the other foot!

ha ha!

---

Take it easy there Superman. Who you callin yuppie?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:33 am

Maybe I'm wrong but if Azzy has made it off the mountain and is safe, uhmm maybe a post? He reached out to this website and asked for input, he got it and he knows of those responses. I know ALL of us want him to be in good health and wished for the best. I would think there's something wrong here or why not check in? I hope he's fine!!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 am

What exactly is a fuking pull-up?

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Wild

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm

MoapaPk wrote:What exactly is a fuking pull-up?

I think it might have something to do with the chin over a horizontal bar while her legs are wrapped around your back.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 pm

peninsula wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:What exactly is a fuking pull-up?

I think it might have something to do with the chin over a horizontal bar while her legs are wrapped around your back.

It's something Steve attempts to do everyday, but can't. . .

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Azzy, welcome to summitpost!

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
goldenhopper

PreviousNext

Return to California