Mt. Harvard: Fire restrictions? Water purity?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
obosha

Mt. Harvard: Fire restrictions? Water purity?

by obosha » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm camping south of Mt. Columbia starting tomorrow for 5 days. Like an idiot, I completely forgot to check if there are any fire restrictions in that wilderness area, and also whether the small streams running between Columbia and Yale are ok to filter from for drinking water (I've been to Colorado dozens of times, and know that many streams are tainted with arsenic in this region).

Forest ranger won't be in again until Monday, so I need a quick response this weekend.

Thanks ahead of time!

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Mt. Harvard: Fire restrictions? Water purity?

by mconnell » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Without having any real information...

Everywhere that I am aware of with fire restrictions, that restriction does not include stoves. Campfires are out almost everywhere in SW colorado.

I have never been too concerned with the arsenic. Several years ago, a doctor told me that most of the streams (not those flowing through mine tailings) did not have enough arsenic to worry about for short trips. I'm not a doctor, nor do I know how much arsenic will hurt you, so YMMV.

no avatar
MtnHermit

Re: Mt. Harvard: Fire restrictions? Water purity?

by MtnHermit » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 am

I know for a fact that theirs a Stage 1 fire restriction in most of the San Isabel NF. I use most because the east side of the Arkansas is very dry, whereas the west side above 11,000 feet has an epic snow pack. Stage 1 prohibits any wood fire not in an established campground, gas cooking stoves are permitted. Most likely you will see a posted notice at the Horn Fork TH.

As to water, you'll have no problems.

Enjoy!!!

Return to Colorado