Good place to start?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
mtybumpo

Good place to start?

by mtybumpo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 am

Hey everyone, I just moved to SLC from Boise this week and the Wasatch mountains have my mouth watering for an 11er. I just don't know where to start and would like some suggestions. I have the Utah Mountaineering book by Kelsey as well as the Wasatch 11er book by Randy Winters. Being an Idaho peakbagger I'm very comfortable with class 3 terrain and am used to 10 mile, 5,000+ ft. days. I don't mind going solo but would prefer company because I'm not familiar with the area yet and it's always more fun to have someone with you.

tmtn93

Re: Good place to start?

by tmtn93 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 am

I myself am out of the state right now, but have hiked Sugarloaf mountain. That's the only 11er I've climbed and it's very easy. However if you want a challenge, I say go up Mt. Timpanogos!

tmtn93

by tmtn93 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 am

I myself am out of the state right now, but have hiked Sugarloaf mountain. That's the only 11er I've climbed and it's very easy. However if you want a challenge, I say go up Mt. Timpanogos!

The following user would like to thank tmtn93 for this post
mtybumpo

rmjwinters

by rmjwinters » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm

mtybumpo,

Welcome to Utah and the Wasatch Mountains! I know you will enjoy them. You could start with almost any peak at this point depending upon your individual preferences. One of my personal Wasatch favorites is the Pfeifferhorn. It offers a beautiful approach via Red Pine Lake and an nice centralized view of the other mountains in the Wasatch.

The following user would like to thank rmjwinters for this post
mtybumpo

voxnihili

by voxnihili » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I saw in another thread that you are going to hike the Pfeifferhorn. Excellent choice, IMO.

I also second rmjwinters' comment that you can pretty much just pick a peak and be good. It's hard to go wrong in the Wasatch.

If you are up for a bit of a drive (maybe a couple hours from SLC) you could try out Mt. Nebo. It's the highest peak in the Wasatch Range and provides some great views across a large area of the state on a clear day. Closer to home, the Pfeifferhorn is probably my favorite so far. Lone Peak is another great one.

If you'd like a hiking partner for some of these Wasatch hikes, shoot me a PM. I do most of my hiking solo, but would be happy to join you for a hike.

The following user would like to thank voxnihili for this post
mtybumpo

Return to Utah