Halfmoon pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ridgeline

Halfmoon pass

by ridgeline » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Is Halfmoon Pass visible from Rock Creek Road ? I went up one of the east side chutes to Pointless Peak before but never noticed Halfmoon Pass which should have been to my left. Wanted to play around in that locale this next weekend.
Thanks

Michael Graupe

Re: Halfmoon pass

by Michael Graupe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:20 pm

I found Half Moon Pass not obvious and did not find it right away. I gained the ridge a little too far to the north and had to traverse a bit above the cliffs to find the chute to descend on the west side.

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 pm

The trail for Half Moon starts a couple of 100 yards south of the corrals for the pack station. The trail then winds towards the North following the N. side of the drainage. The trail is only decent the first 1/2, then disappears . Just stay on the N. side the whole way up and look for duks. The pass is the low point, think 1/2 moon when you look at the crest and you'll see it. I may get up that way in the next day or two, if I do I'll send you a picture.

It is visible from the Rock Creek road also

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks dshoshone, The last time I was up there I bushwacked straight up from the parking and went up to pointless pk. Want to do it from Half Moon this time.

Return to California