First trip to CO! WOOOOHOOOOOOO

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Kristin5berry

First trip to CO! WOOOOHOOOOOOO

by Kristin5berry » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 am

Hey there beautiful people!
So I am heading to CO Saturday Sept 17- Wednesday Sept 21st for some loosely planned peak bagging, road tripping and generalized great times in the mountains. I have planned to hit Pikes then head in the direction of Leadville, then Breckenridge or Aspen. I was thinking about LaPlata, Massive, Quandary, Elbert or any thing that some one can suggest. I like a good scramble, can do 20-30 miles in a day on trails that I know, and 15-20 on complicated/ unfarmiliar trails, between 4,000-7,000 ft gain in one day is comfortable, I am bringing most of my gear (so thats not an issue.) Any info/ suggestions would be fantastic, oh and if any one lives in or near those areas and wants to hike/ grab some micro-brews then that would be awesome!
THANKS
Kristin

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: First trip to CO! WOOOOHOOOOOOO

by Scott » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:47 am

I was thinking about LaPlata, Massive, Quandary, Elbert

Other than the Ellingwood Ridge or West Ridge of Quandary, you just chose some of the least interesting of the highest peaks in Colorado and other than the two routes mentioned, none of them are the "good scrambles" that you say you are looking for.

I have planned to hit Pikes then head in the direction of Leadville, then Breckenridge or Aspen.

Head for Aspen. Most of the peaks around Leadville aren't that impressive (at least not impressive enough to travel 1000's of miles for). Breckenridge has some nice peaks and some less impressive ones. Just about all the higher peaks around Aspen are very scenic, regardless of difficulty. You would be much better heading there.

The Indian Peaks and Rocky Mountain National Park are recommended as well. If you are headed to Pikes anyway, the Sangre de Christos wouldn't be that far away. The San Juans are the most impressive of the high ranges in Colorado, but they might not be in the direction you are heading (?).

mstender

by mstender » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 am

If you are going to Breckenridge, I would suggest to take a look at Father Dyer Peak. It is my favorite class III route and can be combined with Crystal Peak and Peak 10 to make a nice a loop. They are not 14ers though but views are absolutely stunning and you won't see any people. For a trip report see here:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7387
For Leadville, I really enjoyed the "Tour de Huron" (as called in Roach's book) which is a traverse from Browns Peak to Huron Peak and makes a nice loop with some scrambling and really nice views. For a description of the route see:
http://www.summitpost.org/north-ridge-browns-huron-traverse/162236

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:19 am

Kelso Ridge on Torreys Peak is a splendid Class 3 scramble. Very accessible and although you'll have company on the summit, you'll likely have the route to yourself. Father Dyer, as mentioned, is another great scramble in a beautiful area.

The following user would like to thank ozarkmac for this post
Hyadventure

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Scott wrote:Head for Aspen. Most of the peaks around Leadville aren't that impressive (at least not impressive enough to travel 1000's of miles for). Breckenridge has some nice peaks and some less impressive ones. Just about all the higher peaks around Aspen are very scenic, regardless of difficulty. You would be much better heading there.

The San Juans are the most impressive of the high ranges in Colorado, but they might not be in the direction you are heading (?).

As a midwesterner that drives several thousand miles roundtrip once a year to go to Colorado...I couldn't agree more with Scott. Head to Aspen! You'll get the most stunning scenery in Colorado (it's a toss up between there and the San Juans), good options for long dayhikes leading to peaks with scrambles, and being in/near Aspen you'll have access to good food and microbrews. Are you staying in hotels/car camping or backpacking?

For a long day hike, head up to Buckskin Pass and Willow Pass. I have not been up it, but it sounds like UN13,336 (Willow Peak) would offer some good scrambling.

The Cathedral Lake area is stunnig. Easy to get to and would offer a few options for scrambling (not been up it but Cathedral Peak - although that gully sounds like it is really loose without snow).

If you have to get a 14er and want an all day affair head to Snowmass Mountain. At 20+ miles and over 5000 vertical feet, it may offer what you are looking for in a really long hard day (start really early!). And the scenery at Snowmass Lake and above is some of the best. Here is my TR for it (although we did an overnighter).
http://www.summitpost.org/snowmass-a-long-year-waiting/661933

I find the Sawatch to be the least impressive of the Colorado peaks (not been to Breckenridge area yet). If you just want to bag 14ers, then by all means go there. I just think you will be missing out on a great opportunity.

Let us know how it goes.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Seconded on taking Scott's advice.

The advice for Kelso Ridge is good, too, but I personally don't think the route's as challenging or exciting as many make it out to be. But with the ease of access, it's great bang for the buck.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Kristin5berry

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Massive and Elbert are pretty boring, if youre going for a 14er you might as well go for something in the Sangres or Elks.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
Kristin5berry

Kristin5berry

by Kristin5berry » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful:)

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:22 am

Agree with Scott and Mark...Sawatch are pretty boring (relatively)...if you do any you might as well do Elbert to snag the max elevation, or Holy Cross (or Ouray, a 13er at the southern end)

Kelso Ridge is pretty basic...Knife Edge is interesting but pretty short and the rest of the route you can scramble as much or as little as you want, but generally if you avoid the slightly trickier rocks on the left you'll have to deal with the typically loose and annoying Colorado climbers trail on the right.

Agree with all the recommendations for Aspen; Elks are definitely my favorite range in the state along with the Gores. Aspen itself is pricey though, but Glenwood about 50 miles away is fairly affordable. Castle Peak is a good easy intro non-trail 14er. Mark mentioned Snowmass, but another longer option in the Elks too might be West Elk Peak...not a 14er but definitely one of the dominant peaks in its corner of the range.

If you like torturing yourself with long approaches and huge elevation gain though, Sangres are probably perfect for you...esp Blanca/Ellingwood Point. Obviously you have the San Juans too...too many options there to list in one post.

The following user would like to thank Castlereagh for this post
Kristin5berry

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 pm

People were making a big deal about Kelso's knife edge this weekend because there was snow above 13,000'. Baby piss.

aglane

by aglane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:00 am

Nobody's mentioning a flatlander's getting acclimated (sez this writer from Essex County, MA and more recently Iowa). Down around Pike's Peak is the nice short-day Sentinel Point 12,527. In RMNP Estes Cone is a quick walk, and Chasm Lake is nice as could be (if crowded I suppose on weekends at least). And if you're going west on I-70, why not drive Loveland Pass, take a couple of hours walking over to Sniktau and back? 11,990 at the pass to 13,234 gets the blood O2 tested a bit.
Of course Kristin may not need anything of the sort .... But there's no benefit in getting wrecked the first day out, and some benefit in planning a short day if arriving of a morning.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 am

So, you're flying to Colorado from Boston ???

Geez, I hope you get there faster than the server is moving on Summitpost right now.

All reliable sources indicate that you WILL.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 am

aglane wrote:Nobody's mentioning a flatlander's getting acclimated (sez this writer from Essex County, MA and more recently Iowa). Down around Pike's Peak is the nice short-day Sentinel Point 12,527. In RMNP Estes Cone is a quick walk, and Chasm Lake is nice as could be (if crowded I suppose on weekends at least). And if you're going west on I-70, why not drive Loveland Pass, take a couple of hours walking over to Sniktau and back? 11,990 at the pass to 13,234 gets the blood O2 tested a bit.
Of course Kristin may not need anything of the sort .... But there's no benefit in getting wrecked the first day out, and some benefit in planning a short day if arriving of a morning.

Very good point. If you're not used to altitude you might want to work around that.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

pyerger

by pyerger » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 pm

If you like a good scramble, the Crestone peaks in the Sangres are great 14ers!! About 2 hours south of Colorado Springs.
The Sangres are a bit drier than northern colorado, and it will probably snow up high this week. Some of my Favs, are The Crestone needle (standard route) class 3 some exposure. The standard route on Crestone peak 3rd class, (long day). Probably one of the best scrambles in Colorado, or anywhere, is the north ridge of Kit carson 1000' of 4th class, exposed,on bomber rock!!! The crestone traverse 4th class one pitch is very airy!!! NW buttress Crestone peak 4th class AIRY!!! Another favorite scramble, is the west ridge of Ellingwood peak, in the Blanca group, of the Sangres.

Also try 14ers.com for more info. Have Fun!!

Kristin5berry

by Kristin5berry » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 am

CSUMarmot wrote:
aglane wrote:Nobody's mentioning a flatlander's getting acclimated (sez this writer from Essex County, MA and more recently Iowa). Down around Pike's Peak is the nice short-day Sentinel Point 12,527. In RMNP Estes Cone is a quick walk, and Chasm Lake is nice as could be (if crowded I suppose on weekends at least). And if you're going west on I-70, why not drive Loveland Pass, take a couple of hours walking over to Sniktau and back? 11,990 at the pass to 13,234 gets the blood O2 tested a bit.

Very good point. If you're not used to altitude you might want to work around that.

Thanks for the very valid concern! I have done a few 14ers in other locations and I have Diamox in case it bothers me while trying to sleep:)

Next

Return to Colorado