Can anyone help me plan a trip to Mt. Rainier?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Luke Swanson

Re: Can anyone help me plan a trip to Mt. Rainier?

by Luke Swanson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:44 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:My own hypothesis is that if one is fit enough, they can 'outrun' altitude sickness on 14k peaks to a certain extent.

I've often wondered about this. I pretty much always get a headache when climbing 14ers, but it seems very time dependant. If I summit fast, I usually get the headache on the way down. If I take it slow and camp at 10 to 12K feet, I still get a headache but at a lower altitude and it usually gets a little better the next day (but the night sucks). I'm curious if I tried to push it really fast, if I could "outrun" altitude sickness, or at least minimize the time I have to deal with it.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:37 am

laswanso wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:My own hypothesis is that if one is fit enough, they can 'outrun' altitude sickness on 14k peaks to a certain extent.

I've often wondered about this. I pretty much always get a headache when climbing 14ers, but it seems very time dependant. If I summit fast, I usually get the headache on the way down. If I take it slow and camp at 10 to 12K feet, I still get a headache but at a lower altitude and it usually gets a little better the next day (but the night sucks). I'm curious if I tried to push it really fast, if I could "outrun" altitude sickness, or at least minimize the time I have to deal with it.

I live in Seattle and have gone from sea level to 14,410 and back in under 24 hours many times and never had any significant headaches or other AMS symptoms. On Denali we spent five days acclimatizing before moving into the 14k camp and I experienced Chaines-Stokes breathing, lasitude, and mild headaches for a couple of days.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:26 am

I think AGE has a lot to do with it, but I don't have any scientific data to back my claim.

Right now, when I go from 3,500' (in the valley) to 7,500', I feel my chest tightening up, but I thought that was normal for my age.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)