Weather into September

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
daw37

Weather into September

by daw37 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi,

I'm coming over to Denver from the UK next summer (planning ahead!) I've previously hiked in Colorado in late August / the first few days of September, but the flights get a lot cheaper if I don't come back till 16-20ish September.

Can anyone advise on whether its likely the weather is likely to deteriorate by then? I.e. is it worth forking out $300 more for the flight to go a week earlier and get better weather? I ask as last time I was there I was walking in snow in Rocky Mountain National Park on 05 Sept!

David

CSUMarmot

Re: Weather into September

by CSUMarmot » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 pm

In general, september weather is pretty mild, snow is a possibility, but winter storms are unlikely.

Snow depends on elevation range, anything below 1000' probably wont see snow until the first week of october, anything above 13000' will likely have a dusting (nothing serious) by mid september.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
daw37

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:33 am

daw37 wrote:Hi,

I'm coming over to Denver from the UK next summer (planning ahead!) I've previously hiked in Colorado in late August / the first few days of September, but the flights get a lot cheaper if I don't come back till 16-20ish September.

Can anyone advise on whether its likely the weather is likely to deteriorate by then? I.e. is it worth forking out $300 more for the flight to go a week earlier and get better weather? I ask as last time I was there I was walking in snow in Rocky Mountain National Park on 05 Sept!

David

Book it David! September usually has some of the best weather/conditions of the year.

Weather deteriorates when it deteriorates, no predicting, at least not that early in the game. I'd say go ahead with your 16-20ish of September plan and hope for the best and you'll probably get it or come close. This year, the weather was magnificent up until the day before yesterday and the good weather will be back through the next 7 days they say.

Windermere? Is that Lake District?

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
daw37

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 am

Usually September is very nice, but winter storms do come in on occasion and can drop several feet of snow.

Chances are it will be good and even if it isn't you can always head to the desert country. You can always find somewhere to go in September regardless.

Sometimes the part of the state you are in can make a difference. As an example, September is one of the driest months in the Front Range, but one of the wettest months in the San Juans (although the weather can be good or bad in either place at any given time).

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
daw37

daw37

by daw37 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks all - I just need to get my boss to give me the go ahead and its booked :) Currently planning a loop north into Wyoming!

Bill - yes, I live in the Lake District. I get the Englands highest mountains on my doorstep. Pity they are only 3,000 ft high!

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 am

Elevation's all relative David. Your mountains looked pretty good to me.

Been to the LD once at a lake called Ullswater. Looked like a great area. I didn't have time to climb anything though I did make it to the Castlerigg Stone Circle. Very rainy and windy as I recall. Love the names. One in particular that I remember is, "The Glen of Glenridding." Don't have that kind of poetry, for the most part, in place names here.

Northern Colorado and Wyoming are my stomping ground, if you need any assistance or have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 am

You'll be crap out of wildflowers by then, but basically anything goes in September. Two Septembers ago in Denver I had a foot of snow the second week of the month (5,000' ~). This September was really gorgeous, with a couple small storms bringing snow to the very highest elevations with rapid melting and sticking only on north faces. Heck, it's still pretty nice with only one major storm having come through so far.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am

As others have said, September weather can be a bit of everything. I would suggest you assume you might get some cold weather. Depending upon the altitude you're staying at and the local conditions, I wouldn't be surprised to get several inches of snow at night that all but disappears by noon the next day. Now, this is less an issue if you're dayhiking and more an issue if you're doing a bivy/camp somewhere. I often go to Rawah on the border of CO/WYO during that time and I pack to expect down to around 15 degrees F and several inches of snow at night because it has happened enough times to me to be a consideration. The days may be glorious or very chilly due to wind. Wyoming will typically be somewhat cooler. It's a nice time though, much fewer of the afternoon thunderstorms and the days are still pretty long, plus there are fewer swampy areas in the high country. Creeks are also much easier to cross.

Return to Colorado