Half Dome Cables 2012

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
gwave47

Half Dome Cables 2012

by gwave47 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 am

Does anybody have any insight on what the new policy will be this year. Will permits for July become available on April 1st? I also heard some speculation that permits were being purchased by automated programs last year and then sold at a premium, any fix for this in 2012?

I would appreciate any inside info, trying to secure two permits to hike up with my wife at the beginning of July.

Rob

Re: Half Dome Cables 2012

by Rob » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Good question...but there is no answer at this time. The NPS is in the planning stage for what will happen next summer. This from the NPS site:

The Half Dome cables are down for the season. A long-term plan dealing with management of and access to the Half Dome cables will be released shortly.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

And here is semi-recent a newspaper article about the subject:
Yosemite tackling Half Dome problems

gwave47

by gwave47 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 pm

I might just say forget it and do it sometime when the cables are down. I don't mind the crowds as much as I do the fact that people are hoarding permits and selling them for $100 each. That's definitely not what the National Parks were intended for. If they can't fix that problem, I'd probably rather see the cables just come down.

The following user would like to thank gwave47 for this post
mrchad9

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 pm

gwave47 wrote:If they can't fix that problem

The problem is simply that the NPS staff got involved and changed the system from the permit-less version we had a few years ago.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 am

I heard news (on the radio in my van) regarding the 2012 Half Dome Permits issue, so I thought I'd look it up and post it:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

Please check back on this page later in winter-we are still working out some of the details, so we may have more or slightly revised information at that time.

Preseason Lottery: Permits for May 25, 2012 to October 8, 2012 will be distributed by lottery in early April. (While these are the dates we expect the cables to be up this year, this could change based on conditions.) Three hundred permits for each day will be available through this lottery. The application period for this lottery will be from March 1, 2012 to March 31, 2012. Applicants will receive an email notification of lottery results in early April (or can get results online or by calling Recreation.gov).

Daily Lottery: Approximately 50 permits will be available each day by lottery during the hiking season. These permits will be available based on the estimated rate of under-use and cancellation of permits (the exact number may change through the summer). The daily lotteries will have an application period two days prior to the hiking date with a notification late that night. (So, to hike on Saturday, you would apply on Thursday and receive an email notification of results late on Thursday night. Results will also be available online, or by phone the next morning.) The application period will be from midnight to 1 pm Pacific time.

Wilderness Permits: People with wilderness permits that reasonably include Half Dome as part of their itinerary will also receive Half Dome permits upon request and without further competition. (Wilderness permits are subject to a quota system.)

Fees: Two separate fees are collected. The first fee, which is charged at the time you submit an application, is $4.50 (online) or $6.50 (by phone). This non-refundable fee, which is per application (not per person), is charged by Recreation.gov for the costs of processing your permit application.

The second fee is $5 per person and is charged only when you receive a permit. (This fee also applies to wilderness permit holders.) This fee pays for park rangers checking for Half Dome permits and providing Half Dome visitors with hiking and safety information. The $5 fee is fully refundable if you cancel your permit more than two days before the hiking date specified on your permit or if the cables are not up on the date for which your permit is valid.

On each application, people can apply for up to six permits (six people) and for up to seven dates. Applications will only be successful if the number of permits requested is available on at least one of the requested dates. If enough permits are available for more than one of the requested dates, permits will be automatically awarded to the highest priority date, as entered by the applicant. Applicants may apply as the trip leader only once per lottery. Multiple applications with the same trip leader will be removed from the lottery. The applicant must specify the name of the trip leader and may specify the name of an alternate trip pleader. Each person may apply as a trip leader only once per lottery. People applying multiple times as trip leader will have all their lottery applications canceled. Permits will only be valid if the trip leader and/or alternate specified on the permit is part of the group using the permits. The names of the trip leader and alternate may not be changed once the application is submitted, and the permits are not transferable.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 am

Looks like a lot of red tape that doesn't accomplish very much.

colinr

Half Dome Cables 2012 & Beyond

by colinr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:52 am

My local paper has had a couple of Half Dome access headlines this week; today curiosity got the best of me:
http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_19847488 Options range from doing nothing to removing the cables that hikers use to pull themselves up the 45-degree final climb, rendering it inaccessible to all but experienced climbers. Nickas calls them "handrails in the wilderness," and says his agency might sue to have them removed if park officials don't choose that option.

The public has until March 15th to comment on the compromise that is known as Alternative C (symbolism left to interpretation). http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=347&projectID=29443&documentID=44771(Alternative A - No restrictions, Alternative B - 400 people per day, Alternative C - 300 people per day, Alternative D - 140 people per day, Alternative E - Remove the cables)

Fans of Sim City and the ensuing multitude of spinoffs will be pleased to see that Sim Half Dome is in the works, with disaster simulations (dismissed alternatives) included: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/hdp_flash.htm

Background:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/half-dome-cables.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/hdp_information.htm

Instructional Video and User Manual for those who still manage to consider the hike after experiencing the entertaining diversions provided by the NPS website and the permit system:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Some traditions will never die:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:02 am

"A group of people are trying to inject their will."

We won't stand for that on SP.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
colinr

Return to California