Camping Near Tioga Pass This Week?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
PellucidWombat

Camping Near Tioga Pass This Week?

by PellucidWombat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Does anyone know what is likely to be expected with camping potential with the road still (usually) open? I know in Yosemite they aren't allowing overnight parking, but I'm wondering if we could get away staying at the camps on the eastern side of the divide (e.g. Camp 9?) or if I should plan on camping down near the 395?

Vitaliy M.

Re: Camping Near Tioga Pass This Week?

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Camp 9 is still opened LOL hahahahah
I camped right in the parking lot by Mt. Dana TH (in my car). Was awesome. Can sleep anywhere.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm just wondering if you might get a ticket or towed by police if that road is 'closed' to overnight parking. If we met up with Hamik we could use the walk-in part of Camp 9 and have a fire :-)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 pm

7000' off left of Tioga Pass Road on road power station... then just 20 minutes more the next day. You'll be warmer.

smurfer

by smurfer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 pm

I spent New Years Day hiking up around there. I just camped in the valley. Upper Pines and Camp 4 had spots at 4pm on a Saturday. BTW, check out Tenaya lake (I posted a pic, just search for Tenaya Lake) - bring your skates if you have them :).

BTW, let me know if anyone knows about Mt Dana conditions this week. Thinking of going this weekend if weather holds out

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm

smurfer wrote:BTW, check out Tenaya lake (I posted a pic, just search for Tenaya Lake) - bring your skates if you have them :).

Bring skates and a trad rack - we drove through Yosemite on the way to the east side last weekend. When we stopped at Tenaya for lunch I noticed there were skaters in front of us and a team on West Country behind us. The road up to Saddlebag looked open (though I didn't drive up it) if you want a slightly higher and less obvious campsite.

Fire4x4

by Fire4x4 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm

JHH60 wrote:
smurfer wrote:BTW, check out Tenaya lake (I posted a pic, just search for Tenaya Lake) - bring your skates if you have them :).

Bring skates and a trad rack - we drove through Yosemite on the way to the east side last weekend. When we stopped at Tenaya for lunch I noticed there were skaters in front of us and a team on West Country behind us. The road up to Saddlebag looked open (though I didn't drive up it) if you want a slightly higher and less obvious campsite.

The Road to Saddlebag had a closed and locked gate at the turn off of 120. Easy walk up the road though. People were camping in the back of their trucks at the gate though. Definitely bring your skates if you have any!

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 am

Fire4x4 wrote:The Road to Saddlebag had a closed and locked gate at the turn off of 120. Easy walk up the road though. People were camping in the back of their trucks at the gate though. Definitely bring your skates if you have any!

That's weird, I drove by saturday morning (12/31) and thought I saw that the gate was open, though I admit I didn't stop and look closely. Apologies for false information. :)

Return to California