Would you move to San Jose from Fort Collins?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
colinr

Re: Would you move to San Jose from Fort Collins?

by colinr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:42 pm

CClaude, mattyj, tarol made some great points. I'll chime in again on a few points in case staying in CO isn't an easy option. Specific location matters (as a few of us mentioned above).

I find what is being referred to about dogs a major exaggeration (I have 2 that go out with me all the time, but there are a few places they can't go...state parks and some county parks/open spaces). As far as the beach, Carmel is as dog friendly as can be, but many other areas have restrictions.

Yes, the county parks don't want you out in them after dark; some people go to work early/get off work early, others go at lunch or get their exercise elsewhere. It's harder to take advantage of those particular parks in the darkest part of winter.

Morgan Hill area was mentioned, which I live near. I generally don't go to Tahoe, but by taking a southern route out of the Bay Area, I can get to anywhere south of Tahoe (Kirkwood, Sonora Pass, Yosemite, the NatForest south of Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Eastern Sierra) without much traffic, and in a similar or better time frame as people who live to the north.

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:20 am

San Jose is a great place to live and there's a vibrant tech economy and great weather that will make your eyes pop out when you see home/rental prices.

There is amazing Outdoor Everything in CA, but when it comes to climbing and boarding, you have to drive to get to it. (Hiking/biking galore all over the bay area and surroundings).

Imo, if your true priority in life RIGHT NOW is ridiculously easy access to fun outdoor activities, stick with where you are. If your priority right now is this job and all the stuff it may get you in the future, come to CA, and suffer through the 3 hour drive to Yosemite.

Norma R

by Norma R » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am

Would i move from FC to SJ? No way.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Not to take away from the California folks, but the cost of living is too damn HIGH in that part of California.

Don't get me wrong, the Sierra National Forest has some awesome trout fishing ... at least it did back in the 1990's when I was there.

Another thing is the traffic ... make sure you have UPDATED auto insurance on your set of wheels. You're bound to take part in (at least) one fender bender.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Previous

Return to California