La Ventana + Mt. Kandlbinder via Ventana Creek Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tawnymouse91

La Ventana + Mt. Kandlbinder via Ventana Creek Advice

by tawnymouse91 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I've planned a short trip to the Ventana Wilderness in about a month for a little creek meandering and mountain scrambling. I ran into a man while in Jackson Camp a couple months ago and he told me about a route up the creek to La Ventana ("The Window") and since then I have been wanting to try it myself. I have already read (and re-read) the various trip reports on this route, but I was wondering if anyone who has tried it has any advice, especially concerned with water availability up Ventana Creek and the difficult(?) yet vaguely described waterfall section of the hike.

*Also, I am planning to be there for a few nights, not because the climb is very long but because I like sitting in the redwoods. I will be carrying a 25-30 pound pack and I am concerned that I won't be able to negotiate some of the obstacles with such a load.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: La Ventana + Mt. Kandlbinder via Ventana Creek Advice

by Bob Burd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm

I was up the route last February. Not sure if you read this TR, but feel free to email or PM me with questions. You'll have no trouble finding water in Ventana Creek all the way to Happy Camp. The waterfall section is no more than class 2-3 - slippery but not all that dangerous if you're careful, even with a pack. As to what you'll need to negotiate - that varies from year to year due to downfall. The worst I recall was needing to climb over a few trunks maybe four feet high. Lots of ducking and looking for the best route - ducks and flagging were most helpful. You'll be taking your time and in less of a rush, so I imagine the obstacles will be less bothersome for you, rather than more so.

fedak

Re: La Ventana + Mt. Kandlbinder via Ventana Creek Advice

by fedak » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Think the biggest thing you'll need to be careful of (especially if you are spending a couple days down there) is the river level of the Little Sur between Jackson Camp and the Fox Camp/Ventana Creek Junction.

That will get dangerously high after rainstorms- and if it does that while you are up towards the Window your alternative options for a safe return route are fairly limited.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Return to California