Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Ammon Hatch wrote:
jthomas wrote:Will REI actually take them back even if you have trimmed them? I knew they have a great return policy, but this is hard to believe.

Jim Thomas

I took a pair back after they had been trimmed and heated. I was not 100% satisfied. They took em back no problem.

Awesome, now I will give them a try for sure. Thanks.

Muddeer

by Muddeer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:18 pm

I use EV's thick blue ones in my crosscountry ski boots for the arch support. Like them, as they seem to have eliminated some knee pain. I did not heat molded them, instead just allowed my foot warmth to mold them over time as suggested by a REI shoe person. According to him, baking will make them too sloppy (loose).

AsianBigfoot2

Re: Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

by AsianBigfoot2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 am

JHH60 wrote:Anybody use them? I've got relatively low volume feet with my left foot flatter than my right (also have some plantar fasciitis in that foot, maybe from too much running, maybe from too much clutch use in stop-and-go Bay Area traffic).

I was using green superfeet in my mountain boots (LS Nepals, LS Trangos, Scarpa Omegas) to take up the volume but in the last couple years have started having some problems with blisters under my left arch on long hikes in, especially in the stiffer boots (Nepals, Omegas). I've been thinking of getting custom fit orthotics with a lower arch in the left foot, but the thermoformable "Sole - Ed Viesturs" footbeds seem like a cheaper option.

As an aside, do other people notice their feet getting flatter (and not necessarily equally on each side) as they get older? I've always had flattish feet but in my 20s, 30s and most of my 40s never had blisters or had to wear inserts, despite a fair amount (40-60 mi/wk) of running mileage and a fair amount of hiking mileage. Of course maybe that's why I have foot problems now...

I've used Sole's EV for about 16 months now and really like them. Great arch support and comfortable feel on the foot.

I'm going to get a pair of Superfeet Green or REDhot and compare.

ibndalight

Re: Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

by ibndalight » Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I used them in my double plastic boots and I don't think the heating does anything.

Previous

Return to Gear