Sharpening a Ski Touring Axe?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
northcave

Sharpening a Ski Touring Axe?

by northcave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I can't seem to to decide where I'm at with axes and ski touring. So one side of me says I need to save weight big time. I'm only a small guy so every G counts. As such I can't haul my 800g climb axe up with me. A Grivel Haute Route axe is only 320g which is a huge saving.

Everyone says that the ski touring axes are pretty useless as arresting so has anyone ever sharpened them afterwords? The ski touring types with B rated steel always come blunt as hell whereas the my climbing axes is sharp.

So has anyone bothered doing this and improved performance?

Burchey

Re: Sharpening a Ski Touring Axe?

by Burchey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

SO much going on here.

The only thing one of these light ski touring axes would be good for is arresting. What else would you carry it for?

That being said, for the purpose it's intended for, the axes I've seen come with plenty of edge from the factory. You won't be climbing any water ice steps with it, so don't worry about it.

In fact, besides on super-bullet-hard ice, dullish picks on ice tools work fine as well....on actual ice.

northcave

by northcave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Burchey wrote:What else would you carry it for?

For an axe anchor for crevasse rescue maybe? Suppose a ski would be just as good mind.

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm

northcave wrote:

For an axe anchor for crevasse rescue maybe? Suppose a ski would be just as good mind.

I see. Plunging it for an axe anchor - don't need to sharpen. Crevasse rescue? Arresting on ice to stop your partners fall?

northcave

by northcave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Burchey wrote:
northcave wrote:

I see. Plunging it for an axe anchor - don't need to sharpen. Crevasse rescue? Arresting on ice to stop your partners fall?

No the sharpening thing was a different question but to which you convinced me it isn't worth doing... But to answer why else carry it... To build an T anchor in snow should someone go in. If that happened to you would you anchor on the axe or a ski?

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 pm

That's a good question. Really depends on how many people are on the rope...the more the merrier. If it's a team of two, my guess is getting that ski off, pit dug for it, etc will be tough if you also have to stay in arrest position and hold the fall....In fact, seems like singly arresting a fall for your partner while wearing skis would be a major pain in the butt.

I carried a picket that I could pull while in arrest on the side of my pack - axe stays planted, and you try to retrieve the picket and place it to relieve your position. Easier said than done. Also adding weight to your system.

The following user would like to thank Burchey for this post
northcave

northcave

by northcave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Interesting... although I still cant decide if i should just jib off the axe and leave it at home :lol: . I think my problem is that I cant decide if I'm going ski touring or ski mountaineering and I think making that decision before you go is the key.

Last year that dilemma happened and the temptation of taking a short cut up a lovely looking gulley proved too much... 6 hours later we're still in it and wished we had our proper crampons.

In fact we went for ski touring and should have stuck to the plan. So back to my original question i suppose i was trying to make a lightweight axe become something it isn't and so it probably isn't worth its weight even it if it just 300g.

Burchey

by Burchey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

You could cut about 300g off your current situation, have a proper tool, and satisfy your sharpness hunger

http://www.alpenglowgear.com/store/pc/G ... -p4629.htm

northcave

by northcave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Burchey wrote:You could cut about 300g off your current situation, have a proper tool, and satisfy your sharpness hunger

http://www.alpenglowgear.com/store/pc/G ... -p4629.htm

Well. That's an expensive 300g. I was considering: http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/ice_ ... aute_route

I think i need to either take my climbing axe with the intent of using it or just do without.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Dang, northcave, NICE PIC!

Return to Technique and Training