Fixing busted Anti-Balling plates on older BD Sabretooths

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rleonard

Fixing busted Anti-Balling plates on older BD Sabretooths

by rleonard » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 am

So, I have a pair of older BD Sabretooths that are still in good condition and I'd like to continue to use them on Rainier and other climbs, but my anti-balling plates are starting to break as you can see in the picture. I'm having a hard time finding replacements, since BD updated their Sabretooth crampons to use a new type of anti-balling plate. My thoughts were to just throw a zip tie around the front end of the anti-balling plate to hold it against the crampon, but I figured I'd see what people thought first. I'm open to suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG (474.82 KiB) Viewed 4206 times

no avatar
rleonard

Re: Fixing busted Anti-Balling plates on older BD Sabretooth

by rleonard » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Unfortunately, those ABS plates you linked are for the newer generation Sabretooths, which is why I was hoping for some advice. If I could find a set of anti-balling plates for the older generation BD Sabretooths then I'd definitely buy them, but I haven't had much luck. I could always shell out the ~$150 for new crampons, but it just feels like a waste, since these are still in good condition aside from the ABS plates.

reboyles

by reboyles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm

I've heard of few accidents happening because of a failed ABS plate so I'd treat it like any of your other climbing equipment and repair or replace them before you use them again. I had the same problem with an older pair of BD crampons so I made a new pair out of the side of a plastic milk jug. Instead of zip ties I used aircraft grade stainless steel lock wire to fasten the plate on. They lasted through a Rainier trip and are still intact to this day. They worked as well as the factory plates so what the heck.

Bob

reboyles

Busted Anti-Balling plates

by reboyles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Here's an example. Kevin didn't know his ABS plate was broken until he finished this pitch. Not good...

no avatar
rleonard

by rleonard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 am

I ended up calling BD and they're sending me replacement ABS plates, so it all ended up working out.

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

Return to Gear