Easy peaks India - Nepal

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Jose84

Easy peaks India - Nepal

by Jose84 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 am

Hi everyone..

I'm a begginer climber :geek: visiting Nepal and India (ladakh and kashmir) next May/June, and I would like to have Information about wich are the easiest and most convenients options to climb a mountain or a good high trekking arround this part of Himalaya.

I will be greatful of any advice you can add for help me on this trip.

Thanks !

adi

Re: Easy peaks India - Nepal

by adi » Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 am

Hello Jose

That is a question, the answer to which can be captured only in a 400+ page book :)

But easy peaks - try Stok Kangri in Ladakh.

Reasons : -
1/ Ladakh is easy to reach from delhi (direct flights) unlike Uttarakhand/sikkim which have a 4-5 day approach.
2/ Ladakh is breath-takingly beautiful - so you get to do the touristy thing as well
3/ Stok Kangri is suited to a beginner - but you have to be very fit - there is no way you can reach a 6000m mountain summit without proper fitness

If you are interested in trekking - the best tht you can possibly do in India is the Kalindi Khal trek. Look it up on google.

Nepal has a lot of easy 7000m peaks (eg himalung himal ) - but again it comes down to cost and the approach time. I would suggest Stok Kangri.

cheers
Adi

no avatar
southerntele

by southerntele » Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Jose,

I agree with everything Adi says although I would note that Stok Kangri gets very busy in a relatively short season. Unless you pay for a private trip, the Guide companies will include you with a larger group for the purposes of a climbing permit. There are many operators and group trips are going all the time.

An alternate option out of Leh would be Kang Yatze II and you can link it in as part of the beautiful Markha Valley trek. It will have more of a remote feel, the peak fees are the same although it will cost more for support as it is more remote and less frequently climbed. Both are a relatively short drive from Leh

There are other options out of Manali, which is a popular tourist destination but I don't find it anywhere as charming as Leh. You could climb something like Yunam which is not far off the Leh-Manali Road and will be far less frequented than Stok Kangri. However, it will be a day in a Tata Sumo and an early start to get over Rhotang Pass. The drive in and out will be spectacular.

I live in India and you need to be aware that there has been some unrest on the Line of Control with Pakistan and the Line of Actual Control with India. If choosing something basic but a little more unusual, stay away from these areas as it will be harder to get a permit and easier to have it cancelled by the IMF.

I hope this helps.

peme

by peme » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:37 pm

these are easy peak of nepal
    mera peak
    island peak
    pisang peak
    yala peak
    thumpus peak
    thorang peak
    lobuche peak
    tent peak
    chulu east peak
    chulu west peak

PTHINHK

by PTHINHK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 am

As previously mentioned if you want to touch 6000M Stok Kangri in Ladahk is an affordable peak. Also mentioned thapa peak aka Dhampus peak, is a mere walk 500M above Dhampus Pass along the Dhaulagiri Circuit. In clear weather the views are remarkable with Dhaulagiri in view and the Annapurnas and Nilgiri North across the valley. You can er uh DIY this one fairly easily if its quiet along the trail just camp close to the top of the pass. If you are in Leh make sure to stop by Gravi T Cafe awesome guys if you wanna climb or just chill.

Return to Asia