Aspen Fire-A lot of smoke on the East side?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
asmrz

Re: Aspen Fire-A lot of smoke on the East side?

by asmrz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm

3Deserts, If you do the route, please PM me. I have been on Williamson 4 times, but never in summer and never from the Shepherd Pass area. No, I have not climbed the route. There is so much climbing in that area, friend was just there and sent me pictures of so much granite with nothing on it. Could you sell me 20 years??
BTW, Glad you like the map.

Deb

by Deb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:04 pm

I did LTR 2 years ago. Entered Shepherd Pass and bivied in Bowl. I can tell you that I was in tears downclimbing the West Horn (and I'm no pussy).
BTW, we could smell the smoke in the Bowl last week - in fact yesterday coming off Mid Pal, I could smell it. There's no escape. I'm gonna go for Milestone and Midway next week; I'll bet it'll smell out there too.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

This was taken from Donahue Pass on Monday evening. Banner Peak is just visible at center right. The smoke plume was ugly. It sucked ass when the wind direction changed and I was smoked-out inside my tent till around midnight. :evil:

fedak

by fedak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Nice and clear in Tahoe today. Cool and windy tho.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:12 pm

3Deserts
Skiing Mount Williamson via George Creek was one of the best ski trips I have ever done. One day we skied to the bowl below the final wall and bivied there. Next morning we skied to the summit, locked the binding into the downhill mode and skied almost 10,000 feet down. It was just incredible ski run. The snow was great and that allowed us to just have fun. If you backcountry ski and don't mind the tough terrain, there is little in the Sierra that can top this trip.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Nope. Nada. Nothin'. DRY
I only carry one liter on route and ration it well. Let me tell you this took 17 hrs camp to camp becuz I was very sick. We did cross a rotten snow gulley early on the route, have no idea if it's still there.
*sigh* I could almost be convinced to do it again just to have a positive experience... and I'm faster now. :)

Say yes to crack

by Say yes to crack » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 am

Just came back from Carson City/Tahoe area, not bad up there
But 395 this afternoon from Lee Vining south to Crowley Lake was terrible with smoke, not bad in Bishop with a SSE breeze.
It's all about the wind.....
Glad folks are using and liking the weather wunderground map, it is a great tool

Deb

by Deb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 pm

It's been a bit clearer this wkend. Had a nice ride with Eastside Velo through Crowley and Rock Creek this morning - we can see all of the mountains!

Previous

Return to California