World's dumbest bear canister question...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
brichardsson

Re: World's dumbest bear canister question...

by brichardsson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Daria wrote:
I've had one of my friends shoe mysteriously vanish while camping out in the open. So I would secure the bear canister with a string or something to make sure the thing is still there when you wake up.

i have been told that just helps a bear drag it off. ymmv.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

brichardsson

Re:

by brichardsson » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:12 pm

mrchad9 wrote:http://www.ursack.com/

this is an excellent solution, but is not allowed in some places.

and i would never, ever, in a million years, suggest that someone carry something that isn't approved by some labyrinthine government bureaucracy. :wink:
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

RickF

by RickF » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Interesting thread! I use one of those 2.8 lb Garcias when I overnight in Bear country. Yeah it's a heavy PIA but it also doubles as a nice camp stool. Now that I've read this thread I realize that a couple of features I've added to my cannister may slightly compromise it's effectiveness. First, I drilled a small hole and attached a string with a small washer tied-on so I always have something to open it with. (maybe a bear could grab the string and drag it away?) Second, I put some patches of reflective, flourescent tape on it. At night I keep it 50' to 100' away and when I shine my headlamp in the general direction it it glows. (maybe those patches of reflective tape would help a bear get a grip and walk away with it?) It seems to work, it's also effective food protection against marmots, squirrels and rats.

Buz Groshong

Re:

by Buz Groshong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I wouldn't call it being naive then.

Avoidance of hunters is not naive. But if one thinks of naivete as just being a lack of knowledge, then I think it is safe to say that the bears in the Ruby Mts of NV (e.g) are much more naive than the bears in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, at least as far as human food is concerned. The more easily-procured human food that a bear encounters, the more s/he will likely learn the tricks needed for harvesting that food. As noted earlier in this thread, the Adirondacks are home to the only bears that have (yet) figured out how to defeat a bear vault.

There is also the issue of numbers. I see few bear tracks in NV; I saw lots and lots in the Adirondacks, particularly on the trails from John's Brook up to Marcy. I think this is partly because of other factors; lots of mud (conducive to tracks) in the Adks, and much of the human habitation is confined to narrow strips along trails, so the bears have to range over smaller regions for fat pickin'.

If a bear really decides to chew on an ursack, no internal liners (assuming plastic bags) are going to make a lot of difference.

It is also a question of bear population density. The mountains in the east have higher bear densities than mountains out west. A good example of this is the fact that Shenandoah N.P. is about half the size of Yosemite N.P., but has twice as many bears.

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Bear vs. Bear Vault. (Lesson: Never place a bear canister directly uphill from your tent.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k&sns=em

The following user would like to thank ozarkmac for this post
coldfoot

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Daria wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
maddie77777 wrote:If I buy a bear canister, do I just keep it in my tent with me? Or do I then put it in my pack and hang it from a tree as well?

Neither. Most canisters have instructions to place the canister on the ground quite a distance from you or your critical gear. Sometimes the bears play soccer with the canisters and you may have to look a while to retrieve the cache; I'm painted the top of my bearvault orange (never had a bear encounter, though).

Do they prevent scents from getting out, or are they just made to keep the bears from getting in and ever realizing any food rewards?

The latter.

I've had one of my friends shoe mysteriously vanish while camping out in the open. So I would secure the bear canister with a string or something to make sure the thing is still there when you wake up.

The single shoe could've been taken by a coyote, although I don't put it passed a curious and playful bear.
I live not far from a park and we hear coyotes at night. For years single shoes were missing from many houses in our neighborhood. Then, there was a clean-up of the park/preserve. They found a coyote den with 500 single shoes in and around it.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Why was everyone leaving their shoes outside!

Cool find to spot all the shoes at the den.

Marcsoltan

Re:

by Marcsoltan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 pm

rhyang wrote:
maddie77777 wrote:I think I may go with Rhyang's 3rd option, the Bare Boxer. It's cheap and seems big enough to house a couple meals for a couple days. I could just flourescent-tape that thing as well, right, since it's coin/screwdriver operated?

The next question is "what are the odds I totally forget to bring some sort of coin/screwdriver with me?"

If you do get a bareboxer, a coin won't work. When I go backpacking (or climbing) I always have one of those little swiss army knives with a nail file. The tip of the nail file seems to work just fine, but practice at home first with whatever you plan on bringing on your trip.

For the coin-style locking devices (ie. my bearikade) I just have a coin I drilled a hole into, and put one of those little keychain rings on (an austrian pfennig, just in case any US secret service agents are reading this :) ) This makes it easy to clip onto a key ring or something.

If you're like me, you have lots of random stickers lying around (what online retailer doesn't send stickers in the box anymore ?) I just put a couple of those on my canisters. This also helps with identification, in case you go on trips with someone who has an identical model of canister.

Rob, Volumes aside, which one of your two bear canisters, Bearikade vs Bear Boxer, you like better?

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why was everyone leaving their shoes outside!

Cool find to spot all the shoes at the den.

You know, kids with dirty shoes come home. Their mother makes them leave their shoes outside. And, for coyotes, the smellier the shoe the more they like it.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 am

I didn't know that. No kids!

Back on topic... I wouldn't recommend trying cord to a bear can. Then again so far I have yet to hear first hand experience of negative consequences.

I had a marmot drag my extra layers out of the Betalight about 30 feet away once. Or I assume a marmot. Luckily he didn't eat them.

no avatar
coldfoot

by coldfoot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 am

Every time I see this thread, I think it is a question about the world's dumbest bear canister.

Watch the glorious video ozarkmac posted. There's a reason that bear cans don't have strings or other grippy surfaces. I don't think a sticker or reflective tape would hurt though.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 pm

coldfoot wrote:Every time I see this thread, I think it is a question about the world's dumbest bear canister.

Me too! But the Sierra rangers have pictures of home-grown canisters that some folks tried to use in bear country... with amusing results.

Previous

Return to General