GOOD ALPINE PACK

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
climbhigh

GOOD ALPINE PACK

by climbhigh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I just purchased a Deuter Guide Tour pack and am also looking at a CCW Chernobyl. I like the Deuter as a touring pack due to having an avy gear pocket. Is the CCW Chernobyl an excellent pack? Are there any other ones out there that are comparable in features, durability, price range, etc. ?

Thanks

TimB

Re: GOOD ALPINE PACK

by TimB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 pm

I have the Chernobyl, been using it for just over a year, and thus far I love it.
Not the lightest thing out there; but that is the only negative I can think of, honestly.

divnamite

by divnamite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:41 am

climbhigh wrote:I just purchased a Deuter Guide Tour pack and am also looking at a CCW Chernobyl. I like the Deuter as a touring pack due to having an avy gear pocket. Is the CCW Chernobyl an excellent pack? Are there any other ones out there that are comparable in features, durability, price range, etc. ?

Thanks

Chernobyl is a fantastic climbing pack, but it's not a touring pack. It'll work, but a dedicated touring pack would be a much better option for touring.

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 am

FWIW: I just started using the Mountain Hardwear Direttissima 46 pack and I'm really happy with it. 46 liters is a good size for anything but extended winter climbs. It's got plenty of attachment points for all the usual shit but also compresses pretty well, too (straps). Two hip belt options (padded vs unpadded and light), detachable lid, and removable lumbar support and corrugated plastic sheet mean you can optimize it for whatever you're doing. My only gripe is that it has a few too many bells and whistles to be a truly light and fast pack. But whatever -- it's tough and durable, and light enough for my taste. Somewhat pricey ($260) but I believe that you get what you pay for.

no avatar
raramuri

by raramuri » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 am

Mammut Trion Guide 35+

Millet Peuterey 45+10

Great, versatile packs. I use them for for different activities and they perform great.

no avatar
ZeroFC

by ZeroFC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:20 am

Using the Mammut Trion Guide 45. Very comfortable and well rounded pack.

The Black Diamond Speed also looked/felt great. Was impressed but wanted the extra volume of the Trion.

no avatar
Relax

by Relax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:15 am

climbhigh wrote:I just purchased a Deuter Guide Tour pack and am also looking at a CCW Chernobyl. I like the Deuter as a touring pack due to having an avy gear pocket. Is the CCW Chernobyl an excellent pack? Are there any other ones out there that are comparable in features, durability, price range, etc. ?

Thanks

Climbing partner has an Andanista we always take along. Going strong going on 25 years...

I highly recommend McHale especially if you have a previous neck, shoulder injury, but you must get the suspension system allowing you to take the pressure off your shoulder when you wish. He has been building packs lately without his patented suspension system and they will be no different than something you can get sold in a local store other than the fact you can get his pack highly customized to your tastes.

Personally for alpine packs I go for more toughness than lightweight. If backpacking, go with a glorified trashbag and save weight. :D

Return to Gear