FYI: Interesting article on David Beck (High Sierra Route)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Jesus Malverde

FYI: Interesting article on David Beck (High Sierra Route)

by Jesus Malverde » Sun May 04, 2014 3:37 pm

FYI: Interesting article on David Beck (pioneer of the High Sierra Route) over at Sustainable Play:

David Beck: Architect of the Sierra High Route
http://sustainableplay.com/david-beck-a ... igh-route/

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
peninsula

no avatar
Palisades79

Re: FYI: Interesting article on David Beck (High Sierra Rout

by Palisades79 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Great article ! Dave's avalanche classes at Carson Pass are always worth your life.

ROL

Re: FYI: Interesting article on David Beck (High Sierra Rout

by ROL » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for taking me back. Ray Falkenberg and I made what was arguably, and to the best of my knowledge, the second crossing of the California Haute Route (as we knew it) in 1978. I say arguably because we were vaguely aware of another group consisting primarily of rangers who skied it from west to east and, by my reckoning at the time, failed to complete the tour by virtue of having to call for a helicopter rescue. I don't believe Beck had written his guides at the time, but if so, neither of us had seen the route description. All we knew was that there was a route from Shepards' to Lodgepole.

I began the trip with true light touring skis, which I had used elsewhere throughout the Sierra and was quite proficient with, but retreated to come back the following week with steel edged Fisher Europa 77's, which Ray was already using. Being familiar with the summer terrain we were not entirely clueless, yet deviated somewhat from Beck, I believe, by keeping the High Route high along the divide from Milestone Bowl to Triple Divide Peak – Elizabeth Pass. The trip remains a high point in mountaineering for the both us. I began my YouTube Channel some years ago by posting the slides (in two parts due to YT's restrictions at the time) from the trip, mostly out of respect for Ray.

California Haute Route (Part I): http://youtu.be/QfcurDjrFzs
California Haute Route (Part II): http://youtu.be/hm44-pZ2tsM

After reading the article I discovered at least one other difference between Beck and myself. I was active in the fight against the proposed Disney development of Mineral King, the unintended result of which got me elected as one of youngest ever Executive Committee members of the local Sierra Club Chapter. You can add to that my complete dismay and utter disappointment that such a tour is now, or became, guided. Regrettably, like Everest, I guess that is now the way.

The following user would like to thank ROL for this post
Jesus Malverde

Return to California