Favorite Backpacking trips

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mconnell

Favorite Backpacking trips

by mconnell » Tue May 06, 2014 6:38 pm

I am thinking of doing a solo backpacking trip towards the end of Jun or mid-July, and wanted to hear some suggestions. I have been many places in the state (hiking in Colorado since 1973) but am looking for something new/different. I am looking for something in the 40-60 mile range, preferably a loop although could be a out-and-back trip, and away from too many people. I have several things I'm thinking about, but what's your favorite?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Favorite Backpacking trips

by Scott » Tue May 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Outside the San Juans, it seems that it would be hard to meet your expectations. Most roadless areas in Colorado are too small to hike 40-60 miles and be far and away from people the entire time.

You could always head for the Jagged Mountain area, one of the most scenic areas in Colorado and one of the more remote as well.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
mconnell

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Favorite Backpacking trips

by mconnell » Wed May 07, 2014 3:21 am

Scott wrote:Outside the San Juans, it seems that it would be hard to meet your expectations. Most roadless areas in Colorado are too small to hike 40-60 miles and be far and away from people the entire time.

You could always head for the Jagged Mountain area, one of the most scenic areas in Colorado and one of the more remote as well.

Yup, I realize that. I was just kind of thinking while bored at work. I am not totally against people, I'm just not interested in doing something like the 4-pass loop since I don't want to share a camp with 50 "friends' (and it's shorter than I would like). Like you said, plenty of places in the San Juans which is kind of what I am thinking since I haven't spent much time in that part of the state except skiing and ice climbing. Jagged is a good suggestion.

FWIW - I have covered over 30 miles in the Gores with only seeing 2 people except at the trailhead. Often it is just a matter of getting off of the popular trails. Even on Pikes over a 4 day, July 4th weekend, I have hiked/climbed without seeing anyone except for the first 2 and last 2 hours when I was on Barr Trail (probably didn't cover much over 20 miles on that trip, and did see cars when I crossed the highway.)

Thanks for the suggestion! Figured I could count on you for an idea or two.

Return to Colorado