Timpanogos routes this time of year?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Jared_j

Timpanogos routes this time of year?

by Jared_j » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm driving through and what to hit Mt. Timp. Not sure where to look for condition reports, etc. Is there still a fair bit of snow up there? What would be a recommended route given current conditions? I'd have more fun doing some moderate snow climbing and scrambling than taking the easiest route to the summit. If there's a web resource that I should be looking at for this detail, I'd appreciate it. From the myriad routes in the SP database, it wasn't clear to me what would be an appropriate line this time of year. Thanks,

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Timpanogos routes this time of year?

by Scott » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Is there still a fair bit of snow up there?

I haven't climbed it lately (but have done many, many routes on the mountain), but there is almost always quite a bit of snow up there this time of year.

Which route you climb this time of year is dependent on experience and how good you are with an ice axe.

There are many good routes.

I'd highly recommend the Aspen Grove route if you are good with an ice axe. The glissading should be good, but be careful. Because of the glissade, I prefer Aspen Grove to Timpooneke early season. The waterfalls are better too (later season both are equally scenic).

The Battle Creek Route (North Fork) is usually good this time of year, but also requires that you are good with an ice axe. It's one of the biggest chutes in the Wasatch, so you don't want to fall down it.

If you aren't that good with an ice axe, the ridges on the Southwest face are your only option, but those aren't as fun without snow.

OwenT

by OwenT » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Some of my sister's friends went on Saturday, they just had tennis shoes hit snow after a couple hours on the trail went up about 80 ft and she said it took them about an hour to get back down because the snow was hard and they were afraid of falling. Left about midnight, got back to Provo by 9 am. As far as I know there is still quite a bit of snow on the west side and I wouldn't do it without traction and an ice axe.

regehr

by regehr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm

This site doesn't get updated often enough but often has some pertinent info about trail conditions:

http://tert.org/

Kai

by Kai » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Try the Cold Fusion Couloir. Takes you to the North Summit, and from there, you can follow the ridge to the main summit. From the main summit, you can descend the Timponooke trail (snow) or go down one of the ridges to Pleasant Grove (will require a car shuttle to get you back to your car.)

Bring ice axe and crampons.

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Here is what Timp looks like from the summit of Lone Peak as of this morning: About 6" of fresh snow from 9,000 to the summit which will likely be gone in a day or so...

This one was taken a bit further down on the high traverse:

And this one from the Enniss Saddle:

I'd think either TImponeke or Aspen Grove would be doable with micro spikes and an axe for up higher. Crampons for the couloirs.

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
Dean

Return to Utah