Dolomites Highlights?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
marving

Dolomites Highlights?

by marving » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:05 pm

A question for those of you who've spent some time in the Dolomites, from a hiking and via ferrata perspective, what would be some of the highlights of the Dolomites? So far the only route I've seen mentioned multiple times in different places is the Via Delle Bocchette (Centrale/Alte). Anything else recommended for someone who's got a a few days and a car to get around? Mid September

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites Highlights?

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 am

I'm afraid everybody have their own highlights, depending on which part of the Dolomites they prefer. Quite actually the Bocchette are in the Brenta Group, which is not considered part of the Dolomites. Though it definitively looks like it belonged. Also, there are more Ferrate in the Group (SOSAT, Detasis, Vidi, Palete, Benini, Costanzi, ...).

You have several famous ferrata routes in and around the Sella Group (Pößnecker, Pisciadu, Lichtenfelser, Finanzieri, Oscar Schuster, Trinicee, Cir, to mention what comes in my mind). All are within an hour by car from each other so you could spend your nights in one place, then head for the trailheads.

Another good location is Cortina d'Ampezzo which lies in a basin surrounded by Dolomite Mountain Groups. Plenty of opportunities there. San Martino di Costrazza is a good spot to head into the Pale di San Martino, Cima Bocche Group or Lagorai.

Last, but not least, Sexten / Sesto with a number of beautiful trails inside and outside the Dolomites. Looking at the Dolomites from Pfannspitze in the Carnic Alps or Pfannhorn in the Villgraten Group also has its advantages.

no avatar
marving

by marving » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks! If anyone else has spent time in the area please share your thoughts, your highlights or favourite hikes and ferratas. Guidebooks are great but I find forums like this are so helpful in narrowing down the options and weeding out the mediocre.

damgaard

by damgaard » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm

I have climbed 19 routes in the Dolomlites area. My favorites:

VF Bolver Lugli: Pale Group. Medium-hard difficulty. Long route to the summit of Cima delle Vezzana (3.192 m). Some of the best rocks I have come across in the Dolomites. Climbs the impressive North face of the Pale Group. Great variation - and you get to ride the cable car Down :)

VF Giavanni Lipella - Tofana di Rozes: A long route (8 hours) to the summit of Tofana di Rozes. Not so difficult, but the scenary is really amazing and you get to climb one of the major summits in the Dolomites. Starts out with 500 m of tunnel climbing and runs along breath-taking terasses!

Marmolada west grat: Another long route (6,5 hours). Again not so difficult, but great variation (you need crampons, rope and ice axe), superb views and you get the summit the Queen of the Dolomites :)

VF delle Trincee: Short route, not so difficult (besides the first 20 m), but walking through the WW1 tunnels is cool and you have great views of Marmolada.

Routes at lake Garda are shorter and not so difficult, but the view down to the lake is not bad.

Have fun - the area is truly excellent!!!

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:31 am

How is this for an itinerary

1: Brenta Group: Hike Molveno to Rif. Tosa Pedrotti, then via ferrata bochette centrale to rif Alimonta for the night.
2: continue bochette alte then to Rif. Tuckett, SOSAT to Rif Brentei and back Rif Tosa Pedrotti and Melveno
3: Drive to Cortina, stop in Val Gardena along the way. Do a short hike from the top of the Seceda lift out of Ortisei
4: Cortina: Strada Degli Alpini via ferrata
5: Hike Tre Cime loop, via ferrata side trip?
6: Cablecar to Rif. Lagazuoi. Do a hike/via ferrata up around that area?

Is this a good itinerary?

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Some of my favourites:

-Take the cableway up from ''passo tre Croci'' nearby Cortina dÁmpezzo. Here starts the via Ferrata Marino Bianchi. A great moderate difficulty-levele via Ferrata to the summit of Cristallo di Mezzo (3152m). Duration up and down: about 3/4 hours
-Marmolada West side Ferrata: A long but fascinating tour to the summit of MArmolada, the highest mountain in the Dolomites. You can descent the same way along the Via Ferrata or take the Normal Route down (crampopns, rope= glacier gear neccessary)
- A fun, easy Ferrata is the Gran Cir ferrata from Passo Gardena to the summit of Gran Cir.

Return to Europe