Optimus Crux stove

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
WyomingSummits

Optimus Crux stove

by WyomingSummits » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:59 am

Anyone have any experience with this stove? Seems like a great one for when pack space is at a premium.

ChrisJahn

Re: Optimus Crux stove

by ChrisJahn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Get your hands on a energy cube and the Optimus will transform into a small propane fueled trailer truck and begin searching for Megatron.

Bill Schulz

by Bill Schulz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Hey
Picked one of these up last year, and it seems to be just fine. Performs about the same as my partner's Jetboil as far as boiling time, etc. I bought the stove as part of a kit that included a small cookset that everything fits into for packing.

Pro's- Small, light, solid build, fast boil, can eat out of cook pot if desired (unlike jetboil), seems to be thrifty with fuel, and inexpensive, esp if purchased on sale.
Con's - no built-in ignitor, pot support arms probably won't hold a big pot without bending.

Good luck!
Bill

seano

by seano » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 pm

I have one, and it works fine. The biggest disadvantage is that the support arms are short, so you have to be careful not to spill whatever you're cooking. I don't think they would bend if you use a big pot, but anything bigger than my 1L personal cookpot would be awfully unstable. It's really a 1-person stove.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Seems like a knockoff of a Pocket Rocket. Weighs almost exactly the same, puts out a little more heat, costs 25% more. Is there an advantage to the Crux over the PR?

Return to Gear