California ... christmas week ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
arm

California ... christmas week ?

by arm » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:23 pm

we've got two weeks off around xmas week, looking for somewhere to play ...

Mountaineers Route on Whitney has been on our wish list for a while ... would like to climb it while there's decent snowpack ... late december doesn't sound like an ideal time for snowpack ?

any other recommendations in the area ? or within reasonable driving distance ?

Deb

Re: California ... christmas week ?

by Deb » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 pm

Anything in the Whitney zone you will need to take into consideration that there is now a gate on Portal Rd that will be closed in December which will add several miles to your trek. Horseshoe Mdw is already gated. Your time frame might be tricky if you're not on skis and willing to camp out a few nights. Most of the major trailheads' roads may not be passable or most likely gated which adds lots of mileage on foot.
In my experience, December snowpack is not amicable for steep chute climbing, although we have no idea how this winter will progress. Depends on the water content of the first few big dumps as to how the layers will settle for safe climbing but those NE to NW aspects will be avy prone.
Rock Creek and San Joaquin Ridge are probably the easiest backcountry areas to get into with full snow coverage, but like I said the gates add miles. Interested in desert peaks?

arm

by arm » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:48 pm

thanks for the reply Deb !

we do a lot of skiing and Winter camping in New England, so would be happy if there's enough snow for that ...

desert peaks would be fine if there's not enough snow ... would like to backpack, get some fun climbs in, maybe catch live music somewhere ...

willing to travel a bit to visit a few places while we're in the area ...

greatly appreciate any suggestions ... in Cali or nearby ...

seano

by seano » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:39 am

Deb wrote:Anything in the Whitney zone you will need to take into consideration that there is now a gate on Portal Rd that will be closed in December

:-( !!! Did someone do something bad or stupid that made them rescind the informal "drive at your own risk" policy? Hopefully Onion Valley and Glacier Lodge aren't next.

no avatar
Tony.Bosco.Climber67

by Tony.Bosco.Climber67 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:46 am

If you are looking to do some snow chutes or ice climbs i'd wait till there is a fairly large amount of snowfall. The last 2 super dry seasons have taken a toll on some of the great snow chute routes in the Sierras. I just completed a solo climb up the N. Coulior of Mt. Sill and pretty much had to rock climb up the side of the entire length of the gully because the snow was dust, nothing to purchase on. Hopefully we will get pounded this winter and there will be some great routes to do.

Something should be done about road closures, Experienced climbers should have access to the Sierra all winter long.

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 am

Also consider that Christmas time is still 'early season' in the Sierra Nevada, and (if we have a normal snowfall season) the early snow may not be fully consolidated, so you'll have a higher possibility fo avalanches in the backcountry.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:03 pm

If you have your heart set on Whitney, why not try it even if the snow conditions aren't ideal? If you're looking at a foot of fresh stuff over talus and slabs, I can see the suck factor and might head elsewhere, but even if the Mountaineer's Route isn't full, it is still worth doing. I guess it really depends on the experience you're looking for.

Return to California