Picking a Beginner Mountain in Switzerland

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
ornery_plainstrider

Picking a Beginner Mountain in Switzerland

by ornery_plainstrider » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:02 am

Let me apologize right away for posting the "I'm new, help me" plea that no one likes, but I'm really struggling to find a good mountain hike to be my first.

Background: I've never hiked at altitude, but that is my goal for this coming summer. There is plenty of time for me to get in shape and prepare, and having done cross country for years, I'm no stranger to endurance training. I'm currently planning a trip to Germany and Switzerland; I want one of my stops to be a mountain hike that includes snow at a summit. I don't want to have to learn how to use crampons, ice axes, self-arrests, or rope-teams. Maybe someday this will be an option, but for now that would be too much. My time frame is between early June and early August. Until the trip, I'll be very far away from any high altitudes.

Research: Part of the reason I'm here is because I've done plenty of searching (and posting, sorry if you've already heard from me), and I have decided that I basically need someone to pick summit for me (or at least teach me to find one). So far, I've looked at these peaks:
    Dent du Midi
    Barrhorn
    Bishorn
    Pointe de Vouasson
    Muttler
Of these, Barrhorn seems like the best option for me, but I'm worried there won't be snow at the top... I know it's a pretty lame requirement, but I just really want to be on a snowy peak. The others, I realize, would most likely be too difficult because of possible glaciers.

Question: I'm really just looking for someone to say "Oh, ______ would be perfect; you only have to hike up to the top where there will snow and awesome views. You won't need any special gear except hiking boots and warm clothes." But I'll take any input you have. The main goal is to solo climb a mountain (without getting hurt or lost) for the views and personal growth.... and to see snow there.

Thanks!

Mountain Bandit

Re: Picking a Beginner Mountain in Switzerland

by Mountain Bandit » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:08 am

Welcome – On Summitpost you’ll get some good advice, some not so good advice and occasionally some random banter so take it for what it’s worth!

I headed over to Switzerland a couple of months back to tackle some easy peaks solo and had a ball. As it was my first time I’ve ever been to the Northern Hemisphere, I don’t claim to be experienced in The Alps but there seemed to be plenty of climbs and decent hikes for all sorts of levels. I tackled a couple of awesome climbs solo (including Dents du Midi – Haute Cime). Within one week, I climbed Haute Cime, only touching a couple of melting drifts of snow, then Mettelhorn under more than a foot of fresh snow and had an absolute ball. In other words conditions can change significantly so I’d suggest you don’t narrow your choices down to a “mountain hike that includes snow at the summit” otherwise you might come out disappointed.

Also suggest you buy yourself a pair of crampons – always handy to have on you if snow is around. Relatively easy to get used to and advantageous when waking in snow not to mention safer if conditions are icy.

Like you, I live in a flat no-altitude spot. Generally I don’t think you will have any altitude problems for walk-up peaks in the Alps (ie under 4000m) apart from some extra huffing and puffing provided you are fit, healthy and keep properly hydrated.

Have fun

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:38 am

I can certainly understand your desire to see snow - while I also hike and climb lots of mountains without it, I always find that it adds something to the experience, and the pictures always look better as well.

The thing with snow is that as soon as temperatures get low enough and the snow isn't fresh powder anymore even a relatively benign slope may require more than just mountain boots, e.g. crampons. Consequently it's impossible to simply pick any particular mountain that will definitely have snow yet doesn't require anything special gear. You have to plan with flexibility in mind, and be ready to adjust according to the weather and to the conditions on the mountain.

I strongly suggest that you strike Bishorn off your list. That's not a mere hike but a long glacier slog, which normally means you have to bring crampons (whether you actually need them will depend on the conditions of the day) and roping up because of the crevasse risk. For the record, I haven't done this route myself, though I've been to the area a few times, and once even considered doing a traverse with a friend (up the east ridge, down the normal route is what we looked at). It's rated AD-, which means it's far beyond just hiking, and it will be a very long day, which, in the end, is the main reason we didn't try it. I would still like to, someday.

On a positive note, Barrhorn may very well fit the bill. The only thing is, if there is still snow on top and it happens to be freezing, you might need crampons. Usually you won't know for sure until shortly before heading out there. Check the weather forecast right before you go, and if temperatures at 3600m are well above freezing then Barrhorn shouldn't be a problem without crampons even with snow. If the refuges are open, you can call them and ask if there is snow on top and if you need crampons or not. Both the Turtmannhütte and the Topalihütte are nearby. I consider the route from the Turtmannhütte still a hike, albeit a difficult one, while the one from the Topalihütte involves a short exposed scrambling section where you'll definitely need your hands. If you have no problem with that, you can climb Barrhorn as a side trip on the traverse from one hut to another, and climbing Barrhorn along the way. That's what I did on my first visit to the area in July 2012. Not much snow on Barrhorn that day, and nothing on the trail or on the summit, but since there was enough time for it, after Barrhorn I also hiked up the Schöllihorn, not far south of Barrhorn, and came across a snow field on top. By the way, the route from the Topalihütte crosses the Schölligletscher, but since a small, relatively flat ice field is all that remains of the glacier there is no need to rope up or use crampons for that.

Barrhorn from the Schöllihorn summit, 20 July 2012

This year I was back in the area in the first week of July (for Brunegghorn, not Barrhorn). From the Turtmannhütte a lot of people hiked to Barrhorn and back every day. There was still plenty of snow on top, but crampons were not really necessary.

The last part of the normal route to Pointe de Vouasson involves a short glacier crossing, Glacier de Vouasson. I went up in late winter (on snow shoes actually - many others went up that same day, but they were all on skis). According to the map, the area isn't very crevassed, and with all the snow I was confident that any crevasses that there might still be hiding would be bridged quite well. In summer, with much less snow, that would be different, obviously. I think the risk isn't great, but even one crevasse hiding below a thin layer of snow can be too much. An alternative might be to avoid most of the Glacier de Vouasson by keeping as close as possible to Pointe de Darbonneire and ascend Pointe de Vouasson along the connecting ridge. While the glacier gets close to it, it doesn't cover the top of the ridge. Also, close to Pointe de Vouasson are a few other summits that are almost as high: the aforementioned Pointe de Darbonneire and Mont de l'Etoile. However, if the skies are clear, I believe that Pointe de Vouasson has the best views.

Panorama from Pointe de Vouasson (the summit is a few minutes behind this viewpoint), 10 March 2014

As for the other two mountains you mention, I haven't been close enough to either to give a personal opinion about them.

Good luck, Rob

RoyJamieson

by RoyJamieson » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:59 am

I have a good suggestion for you, Breithorn (4160m .. 13,300ft).
I did it last year and it's straight forward, although you will need crampons.
It's probably the easiest 4000m peak in the Alps.
What makes it attractive is that you take the Klein Matterhorn cable car at Zermatt up to the glacier at 3,820m (12,220ft).
So your climbing elevation is only 340m or 1,090ft.

no avatar
Peter R

by Peter R » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Plainstrider,
An interesting question !
I'd add another dimension to your query: where can I go to get a few days climbing at a beginner's level ?
Think of Saas Fee and the Britannia Hut, which can be reached by a short walk after a cablecar lift. It gives relatively access to some 4000m peaks plus others: Allalinhorn, Rimpfischhorn, Mittaghorn etc.
Most of the peaks involve transits over snow fields / glaciers, which must be treated with respect.

You say ""I don't want to have to learn how to use crampons, ice axes, self-arrests, or rope-teams."" - if you stick with these criteria you'll either put yourself and others at risk or exclude lots of interesting routes. Going above 3200m necessitates competency on snow, ice etc. and solo outings are just not on for serious peaks. The skills can be quickly learnt - if you don't have a pal to teach you, then hire a guide for a day.

Check out the usual guide books (UK Alpine Club, Cicerone etc.) for routes, but bear in mind that many routes described some years ago differ significantly from earlier descriptions.
Best wishes,
Peter R

Return to General