Cutting Switchbacks

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Buz Groshong

Re: Cutting Switchbacks

by Buz Groshong » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

The question isn't about staying on trails; it is about cutting switchbacks. Most all of us do bushwhacks, but cutting switchbacks isn't bushwhacking. It's real simple; either go off the trail totally and go where the trail doesn't go, or stay on the trail. Use it (or not), but don't abuse it.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
colinr, Scott, spapagiannis

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:58 pm

You wouldn't drive through someone's front yard when the road is just across the curb, would you?

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
colinr

colinr

by colinr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:01 pm

No, you're all missing something. Technology is to blame here; first and foremost, the GPS unit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLR5mjkfs4[/youtube]

By the way, can anyone tell me why I expend the energy to carry (and buy) a handheld hiking GPS unit if I never turn the darn thing on?

Ed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLR5mjkfs4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLR5mjkfs4
Last edited by colinr on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
seano

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:The question isn't about staying on trails; it is about cutting switchbacks. Most all of us do bushwhacks, but cutting switchbacks isn't bushwhacking. It's real simple; either go off the trail totally and go where the trail doesn't go, or stay on the trail. Use it (or not), but don't abuse it.

I expanded a bit, but the point remains: To the guy cutting switchbacks on the trail, just trying to get somewhere faster, why should he give a fap that you don't like it?

Think about it from his perspective, and come up with an answer that addresses it from his perspective.... otherwise all anyone is doing here is preaching to the choir.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Ben Beckerich wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:The question isn't about staying on trails; it is about cutting switchbacks. Most all of us do bushwhacks, but cutting switchbacks isn't bushwhacking. It's real simple; either go off the trail totally and go where the trail doesn't go, or stay on the trail. Use it (or not), but don't abuse it.

I expanded a bit, but the point remains: To the guy cutting switchbacks on the trail, just trying to get somewhere faster, why should he give a fap that you don't like it?

Think about it from his perspective, and come up with an answer that addresses it from his perspective.... otherwise all anyone is doing here is preaching to the choir.

OK, thinking like a Northwest climber - when I'm on Rainier/Baker/Shasta/... it's a lot easier to take a shit directly on the glacier and just leave it there (or if I'm worried about a ranger citing me, toss it into a crevasse) than to do it in a wag bag and have to carry it out. Might as well toss my empty fuel cannisters and other trash into a crevasse while I'm at it. Why should I care if you don't like it? Carrying it out is just going to slow me down. Use iodine tablets in your water if you're worried about drinking the snowmelt.

PS I don't take a shit and leave it (or other trash) on the glacier, for the same reason I don't cut switchbacks when I'm on an area with a well-established trail.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:50 am

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

We are our habits.

Discipline is freedom.

seano

by seano » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 am

Buz Groshong wrote:It's real simple; either go off the trail totally and go where the trail doesn't go, or stay on the trail.

Like most things in life, it isn't "real simple." The "slab-cuts" from Lone Pine Lake down to Whitney Portal are almost invisible, cut multiple switchbacks at a time, and save a huge chunk of time. Shaving a few feet off the end of a normal switchback saves almost no time while destroying the trail. The short way down from Garnet Canyon in the Tetons has an impact, but doesn't create any real erosion, and saves a lot of time. The trail up Borah is a real trail too steep to survive. The Meysan Lakes trail is absurd. And forcing humans to follow trails built for pack animals is cruel and unusual punishment.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
colinr

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:26 am

Ben Beckerich wrote:

You're right. Assholes will be assholes; we can't change them.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
peninsula

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:16 am

Last edited by Marmaduke on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr

by colinr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander