Was Rope Swinging Banned for All Arches or Just these 2?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
MikeH30

Was Rope Swinging Banned for All Arches or Just these 2?

by MikeH30 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 am

So a lot of the news articles just generalize and say they banned rope swinging all out, but then this news articles says its ONLY at 2 arches; Corona and Gemini: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/06/fe ... me-iconic/

Is that correct? Or is it all arches at arches national park/Moab :?:

I also heard in a few articles it includes rappelling and all rope activities?? That seems ridiculous, especially if its all of Arches national park.

Thank You

Stu Brandel

Re: Was Rope Swinging Banned for All Arches or Just these 2?

by Stu Brandel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:59 pm

My understanding is that any climbing (not just swinging off of) of 'named' arches at Arches National Park is prohibited.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:03 pm

From Arches page on SP: This covers Arches NP but not Moab.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT-EFFECTIVE MAY 9, 2006:

Effective May 9, 2006, under the authority of Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 1, Section 1.5(a)(1), all rock climbing or similar activities on any arch or natural bridge named on the United States Geological Survey 7.5 minute topographical maps covering Arches National Park are prohibited. In addition, slacklining in Arches National Park is prohibited. Slacklining is defined as walking on a rope or other line that is anchored between rock formations, trees, or any other natural features. Height of the rope above the ground is immaterial.

These closures are based upon a determination that such action is necessary for the maintenance of public health and safety, protection of environmental or scenic values, protection of natural resources and avoidance of conflict among visitor use activities.

Contacts for further information concerning this announcement:

Laura Joss, 435-719-2201
Karen McKinlay-Jones, 435-719-2222

ADDITIONAL CLIMBING REGULATIONS:
- bolting is prohibited (except to replace mank)
- no use of hammer (routes must go clean)
- chalk should be colored

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Corona Arch and Gemini Bridges aren't in the National Park. It's only those two arches and of course the named arches in Arches National Park where it is banned. Climbing in Arches is allowed, just not on the named arches.

MikeH30

by MikeH30 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:01 am

Okay so Corona Arch and Gemini Bridges are not in the Arches National park, thus why people were able to swing on them, until recently when the BLM banned it for 2 years? Okay, that makes sense if I have it correct.

But with Arches National Park, basically any arch is banned then, because most all have a name? So what arches CAN someone rope swing from then? -I guess only at the other parks like ZION, Canyonelands, Staircase rec area?

MikeH30

by MikeH30 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:23 pm

What about the Grand Staircase? Im assuming those are different laws, because its not a national park, its BLM national monument?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 am

So what arches CAN someone rope swing from then?

Basically any that aren't in either a national park or Corona or Gemini Bridges. That leaves what, at least 10,000 of them? Arches aren't exactly in short supply in that part of the world.

MikeH30

by MikeH30 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:45 am

Scott wrote:
So what arches CAN someone rope swing from then?

Basically any that aren't in either a national park or Corona or Gemini Bridges. That leaves what, at least 10,000 of them? Arches aren't exactly in short supply in that part of the world.

Interesting, I thought most of the thousands of arches were in the national park or national rec area's. I guess there's some in the outskirts owned by BLM. Ok

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Yes, there are thousands of arches in the national parks, but thousands outside too.

Here is a partial list of some of the arches in the Moab area alone, all of which are outside the national park:

http://www.utaharches.com/MA.php

None of the San Rafael Swell is a national park:

http://www.utaharches.com/SRS.php

Arch Canyon is (obviously) a good place to find arches and none of it is in a national park.

Here's a partial list of those in Utah, many of which are inside national parks, but many that are not and only covers a very small fraction of them:

http://www.utaharches.com/AtoZ.php

It is only a partial list though. There are a lot more than that.

This site is pretty good for identifying arches outside the national parks, but it to is only a partial list:

http://www.naturalarches.org/BobsArches/

If you want to do an arch swing though, it should be done away from the normal tourists visited arches. Although some of my friends have done the arch swing at Corona, I don't think it's a good idea. It "hogs" the arch from all the other users and no one else can get a clean photo of the arch. People from all over the world come to see some of these arches and I don't know if it's fair to them (even if legal) to leave a bunch of ropes and gear hanging off the arch all day. I did walk up to the arch to see my friends swing off, and even though they were careful not to damage anything, I also felt bad for the other users, especially after reading the comments in trail register. You also have to be careful of damaging the arch. Some people have done some damage to the Moab area arches trying to swing off them and to do other things. People doing these kinds of things should really know what they are doing and should make sure not to damage anything.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Bob Sihler, Mark Doiron

MikeH30

by MikeH30 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 am

Scott wrote:Yes, there are thousands of arches in the national parks, but thousands outside too.

Here is a partial list of some of the arches in the Moab area alone, all of which are outside the national park:

http://www.utaharches.com/MA.php

None of the San Rafael Swell is a national park:

http://www.utaharches.com/SRS.php

Arch Canyon is (obviously) a good place to find arches and none of it is in a national park.

Here's a partial list of those in Utah, many of which are inside national parks, but many that are not and only covers a very small fraction of them:

http://www.utaharches.com/AtoZ.php

It is only a partial list though. There are a lot more than that.

This site is pretty good for identifying arches outside the national parks, but it to is only a partial list:

http://www.naturalarches.org/BobsArches/

If you want to do an arch swing though, it should be done away from the normal tourists visited arches. Although some of my friends have done the arch swing at Corona, I don't think it's a good idea. It "hogs" the arch from all the other users and no one else can get a clean photo of the arch. People from all over the world come to see some of these arches and I don't know if it's fair to them (even if legal) to leave a bunch of ropes and gear hanging off the arch all day. I did walk up to the arch to see my friends swing off, and even though they were careful not to damage anything, I also felt bad for the other users, especially after reading the comments in trail register. You also have to be careful of damaging the arch. Some people have done some damage to the Moab area arches trying to swing off them and to do other things. People doing these kinds of things should really know what they are doing and should make sure not to damage anything.

Thanks for sending those over, went through quite a few. See, as you can probably tell, I didnt have an understanding of how many arches there are throughout Utah, I knew nothing about it until my friend invited me and started researching it. I just thought it was miles of mountains with a few arches. I concur on the reasoning why people shouldn't swing near tourist spots, when I first heard Corona swinging was banned, I was angry, but now I actually agree with it. It ruins it for the thousands that come to see a nice view and peace and quiet, vs "daredevils" yelling in the background and ruining the sight.

From the links you sent, I'm in awe over; Angel Arch, Hickman Bridge & Gold Bar Arch. So many amazing area's. Angel Arch is said to be one of the most remote arches in all of Canyonlands, thus a good one to attempt, even though its in a park....

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:12 pm

I guess we all have our opinions, but I think that if you want to swing on a rope you need to go to an amusement park instead of helping to screw up a natural feature.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:10 pm

You also have to be careful of damaging the arch. Some people have done some damage to the Moab area arches trying to swing off them and to do other things. People doing these kinds of things should really know what they are doing and should make sure not to damage anything.

Scott, what is a so-called responsible way to do this, putting a pad between the rope and the arch? My first thought reading this thread was why anyone would do that to an arch, especially an easily eroded sandstone one, but if there's a "safe" way (for the arch, as I don't much care if someone swinging off an arch gets killed), I guess so be it (although I hope I never have to come across someone doing it).
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Scott, what is a so-called responsible way to do this, putting a pad between the rope and the arch?

If you know what you are doing, you can set it up as to not damage anything. Yes you need pads where ever the rope makes contact with the rope. Even with the pads, you also need much of the rope encased in something like a garden hose.

That said, I still think that it is a poor idea to do this anywhere that it can disturb others. It also takes an entire day (or more) to set up. I have no desire to do it myself either.

One careless moment can also damage an arch (as well as yourself). Corona Arch has definitely been damaged.

Anyway, here is a post I made concerning the death that happened at Corona.

Condolences to the friends and family. I will not judge and have much sympathy about the accident, but I do know that many of us wondered how long it would take before this happened (which isn't to say that we've all done dangerous things at times as well).

Before the accident, several gear manufacturers came out with statements that the swing is not a proper or intended use of their products and suggested not using them in that manner. Reports I've heard/read from people are that the rope swings have caused significant damage to the arch as well.

Also, I know with Delicate Arch, the NPS (this is not NPS land obviously) asks hikers visiting the arch to not "hog" the arch or spend long times hanging around next to/under it so others can get photos of the arch without all the people in them (or to get a photo of the arch with them in the photo). Given the popularity of Corona Arch, I would think that this should fall into the same category. If you do activities like this, it's best to do them at a place that isn't a major tourist attraction, where up to dozens of people can be waiting just to get a good photo of the arch.

RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

Angel Arch is said to be one of the most remote arches in all of Canyonlands, thus a good one to attempt, even though its in a park....

No, it is not a good place. It is actually a very popular destination for backpackers. Also, Canyonlands is strict. If you ended up damaging the arch, you could potentially be sent to jail for a long time. You would probably have to place illegal climbing anchors as well. Also, do you really think you would want to haul all that stuff up a 4 pitch 5.10+ C1 climb?

See, as you can probably tell, I didnt have an understanding of how many arches there are throughout Utah, I knew nothing about it until my friend invited me and started researching it. I just thought it was miles of mountains with a few arches.

It sounds to me that you are unfamiliar with the area. I assume that you are completely unfamiliar with the rock as well. Even rappelling can cause damage to the rock if you aren't careful:

An arch swing creates much more force on the rock than a rappel. Too many people aren't careful enough. On top of an obscure rock wall, perhaps this isn't as much an issue (as you can't see it unless you climb to the top of the wall), but on a visible arch, you can easily create damage that will last for thousands or even millions of years. As mentioned, Corona Arch has some pretty bad visual damage.

Also, everyone I know of who has done this has years or decades of experience climbing in this region and with this type of rock.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Bob Sihler

MikeH30

by MikeH30 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:49 am

Scott wrote:
Scott, what is a so-called responsible way to do this, putting a pad between the rope and the arch?

If you know what you are doing, you can set it up as to not damage anything. Yes you need pads where ever the rope makes contact with the rope. Even with the pads, you also need much of the rope encased in something like a garden hose.

That said, I still think that it is a poor idea to do this anywhere that it can disturb others. It also takes an entire day (or more) to set up. I have no desire to do it myself either.

One careless moment can also damage an arch (as well as yourself). Corona Arch has definitely been damaged.

Anyway, here is a post I made concerning the death that happened at Corona.

Condolences to the friends and family. I will not judge and have much sympathy about the accident, but I do know that many of us wondered how long it would take before this happened (which isn't to say that we've all done dangerous things at times as well).

Before the accident, several gear manufacturers came out with statements that the swing is not a proper or intended use of their products and suggested not using them in that manner. Reports I've heard/read from people are that the rope swings have caused significant damage to the arch as well.

Also, I know with Delicate Arch, the NPS (this is not NPS land obviously) asks hikers visiting the arch to not "hog" the arch or spend long times hanging around next to/under it so others can get photos of the arch without all the people in them (or to get a photo of the arch with them in the photo). Given the popularity of Corona Arch, I would think that this should fall into the same category. If you do activities like this, it's best to do them at a place that isn't a major tourist attraction, where up to dozens of people can be waiting just to get a good photo of the arch.

RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

Angel Arch is said to be one of the most remote arches in all of Canyonlands, thus a good one to attempt, even though its in a park....

No, it is not a good place. It is actually a very popular destination for backpackers. Also, Canyonlands is strict. If you ended up damaging the arch, you could potentially be sent to jail for a long time. You would probably have to place illegal climbing anchors as well. Also, do you really think you would want to haul all that stuff up a 4 pitch 5.10+ C1 climb?

See, as you can probably tell, I didnt have an understanding of how many arches there are throughout Utah, I knew nothing about it until my friend invited me and started researching it. I just thought it was miles of mountains with a few arches.

It sounds to me that you are unfamiliar with the area. I assume that you are completely unfamiliar with the rock as well. Even rappelling can cause damage to the rock if you aren't careful:

An arch swing creates much more force on the rock than a rappel. Too many people aren't careful enough. On top of an obscure rock wall, perhaps this isn't as much an issue (as you can't see it unless you climb to the top of the wall), but on a visible arch, you can easily create damage that will last for thousands or even millions of years. As mentioned, Corona Arch has some pretty bad visual damage.

Also, everyone I know of who has done this has years or decades of experience climbing in this region and with this type of rock.

After seeing that image (that's Corona?), that really changes my perspective. I obviously was aware the rocks are sandstone, and very delicate and easy to break compare to other rocks, but was not aware the damage was that significant, that's horrible. Now I see why the BLM is going to ban it permanently after the 2 year suspension.
Despite my threads title, I really wasn't that interested in jumping off or swinging on an arche as much as I am in just rappelling from one. And at this point, rappelling from a rock wall or large arch is the most I'd do.
If I locate one that rarely sees tourists, and is safer (in the manner of being reachable and stable), and use the proper padding, I could rappel from it with significantly less chance, or no damage at all.

Bob & Buz; As corny as it may sound, I have to say thanks for not trolling me about it & giving mature feedback. Usually in forums by now, someone would have been very immature chewing me out over it because of their dislike towards the concept. ....I still have the intention of doing some form of climbing/rappelling, as the experience and views can't be replicated elsewhere, but certainly not swinging.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 am

Despite my threads title, I really wasn't that interested in jumping off or swinging on an arche as much as I am in just rappelling from one.

You can still rappel off Corona; in fact, the standard way to descend after doing the climb up there is to rappel.

See my November 28 trip log entry:

http://www.summitpost.org/2014-trip-log/884198

People should be extremely careful not to damage the arch though.

You can also climb Looking Glass Rock:

http://www.summitpost.org/looking-glass-rock/197860

It's a popular climb. The way the anchor station is set up, you can't really damage the arch. You squeeze through a hole and step off the rappel and it is immediately free hanging and little or no rope drags across the rock.

You actually rappel right through a smaller arch that is right next to a gigantic one. Only the smaller one can be seen in this photo of me rappelling through. The huge one is just to the left:

This is the view of the huge arch from the top of the rappel (though it's hard to tell from the photo just how big it is!):

Morning Glory Bridge (right outside Moab) is part of a popular canyoneering route known as Medieval Chamber:

http://www.summitpost.org/morning-glory ... ber/394414

People do rappel off the arch, but since there is no anchor you have to do a simul-rappel with one person going down each side of the arch. It can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and it would be possible to damage the arch if you didn't use pads. I think it's much better just to rappel through the gap between the arch and the rock wall. After walking across the arch, you can rappel the rock wall, which is safer and it doesn't have any risk of damaging the arch. It's still a really neat rappel:

Of course for any of these methods and routes, they have to be done correctly, for safety's sake.

Next

Return to Utah