Sending gear home early on international climbing trips?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pjc30943

Sending gear home early on international climbing trips?

by pjc30943 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:50 am

Anyone use a service like pandacourier.com or similar? We are looking to offload and send our climbing gear back home, before returning outselves. We'll be climbing in chamonix for a bit, and then traveling some more for non-climbing activities, and it'd be nice to not carry our gear the whole time.

A normal fedex shipment would be about $500-600 for 50-60 pounds of gear...

adventurer

Re: Sending gear home early on international climbing trips?

by adventurer » Sun May 24, 2015 11:49 am

You might try DHL, however, the reality is that 50-60 pounds is not going to be cheap to ship reliably. In a similar situation a few years ago, I just stored my gear in a couple of large lockers at a central location then picked it up the day before my flight home. Hotels will usually offer a storage service or lockers at airports & train stations are other options. Enjoy your trip.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

brokesomeribs

Re: Sending gear home early on international climbing trips?

by brokesomeribs » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:10 pm

You're better off selling it locally than shipping it home. 2nd best is storing it near the airport, as mentioned above. There's no real economical way to ship it all home, especially not skis.

Return to Gear