White-Inyo Mountains Fossils

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Inyo

White-Inyo Mountains Fossils

by Inyo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Folks wishing to explore the White-Inyo Mountains region of California might want to check out a paleontology-related page I recently uploaded. It's a completely noncommercial, personal page called "Early Cambrian Fossils Of Westgard Pass, California"--all about a classic, world-famous geologic section several miles east of Big Pine (a community in California's Owens Valley, situated at the base of the Sierra Nevada's eastern front), where there occurs one of the better places on the planet to study invertebrate animals from what earth scientists call the Cambrian Explosion of approximately 535 to 510 million years ago, when there mysteriously developed a sudden, geologically rapid radiation of biological diversification.

Paleontologic specimens identified from the Westgard Pass area include: numerous species of Olenellid trilobites; early echinoderms; brachiopods; hyolithids (an extinct lophophorate); annelid and arthropod tracks and trails (ichnofossils); and the enigmatic archaeocyathid (usually considered an extinct calcareous sponge); indeed, California's Westgard Pass region remains one of the best localities in the world to examine archaeocyathids in the rocks.

Includes detailed text, plus photographs of fossils and on-site images, as well.
http://inyo2.coffeecup.com/westgard/westgardpass.html
Last edited by Inyo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Inyo for this post
Fredd C Dobbs, jfrishmanIII, Marcsoltan, Norma R

thegib

Re: White-Inyo Mountains Fossils

by thegib » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks Inyo. The one additional picture I'd like to see would show the limestone and shale layers (with lines and arrows) with explanations of each layer. Even if I get to the right place I'm likely to search (what for you would be) an obviously barren massive deposit.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:56 am

Thank you for the info Inyo. Not a paleontologist or a geologist, but have always been interested in the subjects. The White's used to be one of my favorite places to do astronomy. Now there is another reason to go back.

I'm sure I've read that the Cambrian Explosion was due to increase in oxygen concentration in the air and water. Is there a debate about that issue at this time?

obsidian

by obsidian » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:53 pm

INYO,
Great Stuff,...Thanks.
I actually live in Big Pine. The town is, unfortunately, the most boring town in the galaxy.
But, the surrounding country is fantastic !!!
If you love climbing and backpacking,...the Palisades are the promised land. And, if you love time-travel, the White-Inyo Mountains are your gateway.

no avatar
dsq

by dsq » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Obsidian,
ive often wondered how one survives,mentally,in small towns on the 395.Its absolute paradise but unless youre a native, boredom/loneliness has to be off the charts?I would think Bishop might be better for this issue?

thegib

by thegib » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 pm

To dsq: "My library was dukedom large enough."
The Tempest. Shakespeare.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:27 am

Who is bored living off the 395?! Hwy 6 could be considered a boring place to be, but then again....where else would you find THIS?

obsidian

by obsidian » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:18 am

dsq wrote:I've often wondered how one survives, mentally, in small towns on the 395. Its absolute paradise but unless you're a native, boredom/loneliness has to be off the charts? I would think Bishop might be better for this issue?

Well,...mental, yeah,...I tell people I just don't have any mental. There is a lot of serious alcoholism in Big Pine (I avoid town as much as possible).
Yes,...of course,...Bishop would be preferable,...but, there are an awful lot of zombies in Bishop, too.
I think the key to the situation is to be 'Out There'.

Return to California