The Sierra's Most Underrated

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tbaranski

The Sierra's Most Underrated

by tbaranski » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Wondering what you guys & gals think are some of the most underrated climbs in the Sierra?

What got me thinking about this was my 2nd journey up Lookout Peak today. I found the NE Ridge to be some fun class-3 last year. This year on the approach I saw a steeper ridge to the right (NW), which it turns out goes to the false summit just to Lookout's north. (See drawing below -- original image is Bob Burd's, hope it's okay to use it.) This ridge turned out to be some great fun -- a good amount of very steep, moderately exposed class-3 on solid rock with multiple route options at any given point. I also spied what appeared to be some class-4 in the area as well.

I think some combination of Lookout being called "class-2" and being relatively small have resulted in an underrated, often-overlooked climb.
Attachments
lookout.jpg
lookout.jpg (149.92 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Deb

Re: The Sierra's Most Underrated

by Deb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:01 am

tbaranski wrote:Wondering what you guys & gals think are some of the most underrated climbs in the Sierra?

What got me thinking about this was my 2nd journey up Lookout Peak today. I found the NE Ridge to be some fun class-3 last year. This year on the approach I saw a steeper ridge to the right (NW), which it turns out goes to the false summit just to Lookout's north. (See drawing below -- original image is Bob Burd's, hope it's okay to use it.) This ridge turned out to be some great fun -- a good amount of very steep, moderately exposed class-3 on solid rock with multiple route options at any given point. I also spied what appeared to be some class-4 in the area as well.

I think some combination of Lookout being called "class-2" and being relatively small have resulted in an underrated, often-overlooked climb.

A couple of summers ago, I climbed the direct north chute of this peak and found Class 4 to 5 moves in there. Kinda tense but certainly fun! Too many flies on the summit!!
No pic here, but the SE ridge of Buck Mtn is REAL blast! About 5000' of Class 3 - 5 with several towers and false summits. Long day but fun as hell! You truly are on THE mountain all day.

Return to California