Gannett Peak Wind Rivers trip August 24-2

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Murock

Gannett Peak Wind Rivers trip August 24-2

by Murock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm going on an extended backpack trip in the wind rivers titcomb area from August 24-2, during this time I plan on climbing Fremont and Gannett. Orginally my father and I were planning to climb Gannett, however he does not feel comfortable anymore in climbing Gannett. I was thinking about doing it solo, but I'm a bit worried about the risks involved with soloing. However, from what I have read the difficulty of Gannett can be exaggerated. I was just wondering on personal experiences in difficulty and if anyone is going to be climbing the peak during that time and if maybe I can join. Thanks, Matt

Woodswalker

Re: Gannett Peak Wind Rivers trip August 24-2

by Woodswalker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 pm

It is hard to say, not knowing your experience, knowledge, judgement, and how much risk you are comfortable with. Much of the challenge of Gannett involves physical fitness. I did it solo from Glacier Trail in 2005 (Where have the last 10 years gone ?!). I had good weather and felt strong. I would read trip reports and research the mountain. You have to be able to judge the different environmental and personal factors and know when to continue or when to turn around. I personally don't think ropes are necessary for the climb, but others have different opinions. Ice ax and crampons are necessary. There is a risk involved in such an endeavor, and this mountain is not one to take lightly. Good luck.

no avatar
Murock

by Murock » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:52 am

Thanks for the reply, I have the necessary gear, but like you said gannett is quite the endeavor, and that is why I rather not do it solo for the first time

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:47 am

Murock wrote:Thanks for the reply, I have the necessary gear, but like you said gannett is quite the endeavor, and that is why I rather not do it solo for the first time

So you're looking for a free guide.

Kevintheclimber

by Kevintheclimber » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 pm

the hike in and out is the difficult part. the climb itself isnt too bad nothing too technical

no avatar
Murock

by Murock » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:18 pm

WyomingSummits wrote:
Murock wrote:Thanks for the reply, I have the necessary gear, but like you said gannett is quite the endeavor, and that is why I rather not do it solo for the first time

So you're looking for a free guide.

not necessary just anyone who wants to climb the mountain or is already on planning to climb it during that week. thanks

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm

It's like anything technical, assessing your level of expertise versus the level of the challenge. I know experienced alpine climbers have soloed with no difficulty. One in our party did that just last month. It is a serious challenge, and with my limited and dated alpine expertise I would not try to solo Gannett. Typically the schrund becomes more challenging by as late as you are going as the snow bridge will have collapsed. I agree with others in that the greatest challenge is the physical exertion just to get there. It's a beast...but a beautiful one! Please let us know how you do!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)