Need some advice in Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
stinkysox77

Need some advice in Colorado

by stinkysox77 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on things to do in Colorado. I've made trips this summer already to the Sierras, the Winds, and the Tetons, and figured it was time to check out what Colorado has to offer before it gets too cold. My ideal trip would be to set up a backcountry camp in a basin somewhere for 2 or 3 nights and climb a couple peaks as day trips, but I don't know where to go. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to stay away from crowds as much as possible, I don't need to climb any peaks for just the name recognition. I would also like to stick to class 3 routes since I'll be out solo.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Need some advice in Colorado

by Scott » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Some of the more scenic areas are Indian Peaks, Gore Range, Flat Tops, Elk Mountains, San Juans, Crestones, and Mt Zirkel Wilderness.

thebeave7

by thebeave7 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Highly recommend the San Juans, one of the most popular multiday down there is into Chicago Basin, but you won't get solitude.
Also worthwhile checking out is the Ruby Lake drainage, not much of a trail there, but amazing basin with some fantastic peaks, a bit more technical though (scrambles).
Another good area to backpack into is the Maroon Bells Wilderness (Elk Mountains)

Eric

spiderman

by spiderman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Stay away from the 14ers if you want the solitude. That still leaves you with a few thousand choices. There are some amazing, but rarely climbed, peaks between 13,800-13,995' that are just as majestic as the lofty 14ers. Mt. Adams in the Sangre de Cristo mountains is a great class 2+ scramble and there are lots of options in that general vicinity. Grizzly Peak (the 13,995' one) is also fantastic and a moderate class 2.

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm

For solitude, ++ Ruby Lake Basin, plus the next drainage to the north, Noname Basin, which leads to many fine remote peaks including the mighty Jagged Mountain:
http://www.summitpost.org/jagged-mountain/154515
Knifepoint lies between Jagged and Sunlight Peak and is one of many class 3 peaks accessible from Noname Basin. The summit views are hard to beat.
http://www.summitpost.org/knife-point/357469
We saw 2 people in six days during our Noname trip a few years ago.

Return to Colorado