Little Blue Peak, Cobb, Harbin and Boggs Mtn. after fires

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Noondueler

Little Blue Peak, Cobb, Harbin and Boggs Mtn. after fires

by Noondueler » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Little Blue Peak/Ridge is the Ca. Yolo County high point. It is well known to be one of the most epic bushwhacks anywhere. Now with the Rocky Fire in summer 2015 I believe it has been burn out. I took photos from Grizzly Peak a few miles away and the top of Little Blue Ridge looks burnt out. Like Grizzly Peak it is well within the boundaries of the final map of the Rocky Fire burn area. Grizzly Peak was a total impenetrable brush nightmare too before the fire and not worth attempting. I hiked Grizzly Peak the other day and just got dirty from the ash. Anyone know for sure?

The same goes for Cobb Mtn.. Huge swaths of the south and east faces of this forested mountain are burnt all the way to the top by the Valley Fire. Boggs Mtn. and State Forest are closed indefinitely. Boggs Mtn. is pretty much totally burnt out. Harbin Hot Springs and Harbin Mtn. toast.
http://www.summitpost.org/close-up-of-b ... ock/956022

lcarreau

Re: Little Blue Peak, Cobb, Harbin and Boggs Mtn. after fir

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:23 am

Wasn't going to mention this, but as a "side dish" here's a bit of politics involved with these massive CA wildfires:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2015/1014/Violent-inmates-have-fought-California-fires-for-decades-and-done-well

And as opposed to popular opinion, it's perfectly FINE to turn your back on .... BUBBA .... :D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to California