Best Down Jacket?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
tarushbali

Best Down Jacket?

by tarushbali » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:19 am

This question has probably been asked a million times :)

I used to have a GoLite Roan Plateau 800 Fill Down Hooded Parka. GoLite has gone out of business so I can't get another one of these. But I'm basically looking for a super-warm jacket. The purpose of this jacket is to be super warm yet affordable :)

I've looked at a couple of options:

1. Brooks Range Mountaineering Mojave
2. Montbell Frost Line Parka

Any other suggestions or comments on these two?

Thanks a lot guys!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Best Down Jacket?

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:17 pm

Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering are top notch. Consider the relatively high cost an investment. Marmot, OR and Patagonia also makes nice down parkas.

With coupon code 'SFB110515 ' Marmot Ama Dablam is a good buy: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot ... rFamily=08

As is this Brooks Range Alpini http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks ... rFamily=01

bserk

by bserk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm

if you look for affordable try Rab - Neutrino or Neutrino Plus...not a parka but keeps me warm on expedidtions!

peninsula

by peninsula » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:57 pm

The best down jackets are expensive. They will have the highest quality down. That said, they are worth it and can last a lifetime. Feathered friends is my choice in apparel. Last I checked (and it has been a very long time), they had the edge over WM in cost. I'd check both of 'em.

Return to Gear